Adding new chickens to our flock

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The state of CT is shut down. They fine you if you're caught on the roads. We are loading up to go vote, it's town meeting day in NH.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went out to get the eggs. My boots are 16" high. The snow was a few inches over my boots. I would say we're up to 18-19" and still snowing hard.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@MoonShadows So maybe you should be happy for not getting a tarp... my worries are realized.

chick1r.jpg

What you are looking at is the tarp that was help up with wood sitting on the ground with 10 or 15 inches of snow on it....
chick2r.jpg

chick3r.jpg

We even got the plow Jeep stuck about 5 times. It is really impossible out there today...
ditchr.jpg

What a mess it is out there..we probably have 22 inches now....

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good to hear from you; I was starting to get worried. Sorry to hear about the tarp covering. I hope none of you chickens were under it when it collapsed. I've been out to the coop 3x today. I gave up shoveling a path and the run; this snow is heavy. Even walking to the coop was difficult. The last time I cleared more snow away from the coop door; I wanted to close it, but there are a bunch of small birds in there...stealing food. If I close it, they can't fly out. We have 5 feet of snow on our back deck from the snow sliding off the roof. We definitely don't think we'll get cleared out to go anywhere for 2 days. Tonight and tomorrow we're supposed to have wind gusts up to 35mph, so we're not going to start cleaning until tomorrow morning even if it stops early tonight. I would say we'll hit two feet of snow!
!0_2011_0208_PittsburgKS_TwoFeetOfSnow_TheMORNING-SUN.jpg

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are ok but will have to go out and get that tarp and netting off the ground in a little while.don''t know if there are any chickens under that..we will see as we shovel....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW --- that's just toooo much snow and crap for me! We got the moisture (ok, rain but, I felt bad saying that with what you have). We did get a little over 2" & expect another 1 or 2" late tonight.

Like Bay says, 2-3" and we are down hard, so far as a functioning city/community. Not usual for us to get what you have there -- maybe once every 20 yrs -- so totally unprepared for such heavy snowstorms. Not saying that you all can begin to enjoy it but, the towns/people all find a foot pretty "puny". LOL We find it unbearable. But, that snow seems very wet, thus very heavy.

Sorry about the tarp & all that. Love the "2 feet" picture.