Adding new chickens to our flock

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
LOL....we picked up a Wyandotte rooster this morning. I let the hens out into the field...then, let him out into the run. A few of the younger ones came running back in to see who the new member was...no problem, but when the Barred Rock came back in she and the rooster went at it for about a minute or so. No blood, but a lot of chest butting and comb & wattle biting. She eventually walked out of the run and hid under an old chair. Then, the big Jersey Giant came back in and they really stated. She seemed to be getting the upper hand, but then walked back out. Strange...big mama, who is the hen leader, seemed uninterested and just walked back into the coop.

I think I may have made a mistake by letting them out of the run and putting him in it. It may have been more of a surprise when the older ones came back and found this "interloper" in their yard. I put him back in the sectioned off part of the run. I think I'll give the 3 old gals time to get used to seeing him. He's a noisy one...crowing every minute or so. I'll take a pic.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:gigThats funny. I have one pullet that is particular and would fight with my new boys. She didn't put up with their rowdy ways. No wham, bam, thank you ma'am for her. I think she wanted romanced. She's a little nicer now they learned some manners.
We just got 5 little New Hampshire red chicks yesterday. They are just starting to get their wing feathers. Cute little fuzzballs. They are suppose to be pullets but I guess time will tell.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@MoonShadows ???? Want my little boy??? I can run him over right now....He may take care of himself quite well....

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:gigThats funny. I have one pullet that is particular and would fight with my new boys. She didn't put up with their rowdy ways. No wham, bam, thank you ma'am for her. I think she wanted romanced. She's a little nicer now they learned some manners.
We just got 5 little New Hampshire red chicks yesterday. They are just starting to get their wing feathers. Cute little fuzzballs. They are suppose to be pullets but I guess time will tell.

Maybe she wanted dinner and a movie first! :gig

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@MoonShadows ???? Want my little boy??? I can run him over right now....He may take care of himself quite well....

Wish I thought to ask you first before I called this other place. Here's a couple of pics of the "king".

009-Apr 2.jpg

010-Apr 2.jpg

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nice bird. Where did you go to get him? I really don't have any regular ones for you..but you can still have my "mop do".....for free....today.....LOL

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, you know that with NO roos, a hen will "take command". Now, it's like any female -- don't step in my bedroom without some intro & manners!! Yeah, I'd let him sit nearby for a couple days, then they will work thru it. Plus, not all roos do as well with the sky patrol. I've lost 6 hens now in past 5-6 weeks to a red tail....I'm not happy. Thought it was the bald eagle first but, only this red tail seems to be lingering. A few of my crows are back and hope THAT helps. I've been throwing scratch feed near barns, covers, until I can work on a better plan.

So, do you mean that you DIDN'T help him with dinner & movie??
Some of the young'uns now days will be ok but, not the older gals.

Glad you do have some young hens, that may keep the older gals less "entertained". :)

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Brodhecker

Oh my gosh.....I know them very well.....if you talk to them again, tell them you know Barb from Lil Betta in Andover....LOL OMGosh!!!! I love them...We moved a fish tank in the farm house so they could have a B rated movie made there...that was a million years ago....

They were my customers...back in the day.....

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Mini Horses Strange though that my Big Mama has taken very little interest in him, and it was her two underbosses who got into tussles with him. Going to keep him in that back area for at least 24-48 hours. Watched him last night from my office window until it got too dark to see him. He definitely seemed confused when all the girls went into their coop. He just kept walking around his area looking around. And, even though I have that small temporary coop where I am keeping him, he never went in it. I'm guessing he spent the night under it.

Our problem is red tailed hawks, too. Luckily I have a bunch of wild raspberry bushes just outside the run area and a few old shelters made from pallets that they can run into if they can't get back to the run. The problem, as you know, is when they get out into the open; those damn hawks have a clear line of flight.

@waretrop I have spoken to and emailed with Phil several times, but never met him. He's not been there the few times I was there.