Adding new chickens to our flock

Matusko333

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well, I should have about 90 but when I get babies in and grow them up it fluctuates. And then get rid of the old ones... Ninety if the magic number....lol

Hello, I'm a serama maniac and having the worst time in the universe tracking them down. Can I ask you a few questions about them.

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a serama maniac and having the worst time in the universe tracking them down. Can I ask you a few questions about them.

Edited by staff

sgreeting_welcome_sign_general_100-109.gif

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been letting the chickens free range for a little while each day. It's funny to watch. When I open the door to the field, mother hen and her two cronies are the first ones out followed by the 8 new ones. The new ones stick pretty close to the 3 older hens. A couple of times I've seen a couple of hawks. While the older chickens are aware of how dangerous the hawks are, the younger ones seem to be oblivious, and that worries me somewhat. So, I have decided to get a sentry for them, a rooster. I called the farm where we bought the new hens, and they have a few roosters available. We are going to take a ride up there today and pick one out. I told the owner I want the least aggressive one since I will be introducing him to an established flock, and from what I read, while everything should go well with the young hens, the older ones may give him some problems initially if they have to give up some of their status. Luckily, I have yet to take down the temporary coop, so I will put him in the back end of the run that has the temporary coop and is sectioned off from the front part of the run...and observe how the older gals interact with him at the fence. I have been reading on chicken forums about introducing new roosters. Some report no problems, some report minor problems, and some report knock down drag out brawls resulting in a lot of blood and torn combs, wattles, etc.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To clarify, I have pm'd Matusko333 and found she is really interested in serama's. I have many chicks coming up.

chicken.jpg

@Matusko333 Aren't they cute? Read this whole thread for the same rules apply when adding serama to a flock.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Are those the ones with that wild hair style? :p Darn, should have asked you if you had any roosters you wanted to sell.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Are those the ones with that wild hair style? :p
No they are not the ones with the wild hair styles. Below is a polish chicken. That's what you are talking about. This one is a baby.
20170215_110047.jpg

Darn, should have asked you if you had any roosters you wanted to sell.
I don't have any normal roosters. I only hatch the odd chickens and therefore keep roosters for them.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@MoonShadows I've never had any issues adding roosters to my flocks in the past. The hens either tried to avoid the new lad, or went along with and accepted his presence without issues. The notable exception being a little bantam hen I had about 4 years ago who was so happy to see the roo… Let's just say if I had to rate that squat from 1-10 I'd give her 20. ;)

Latest posts