Adventures in Beekeeping - Journey To Liquid Gold - Pics

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Great pictures!! Mine has been set up for more than 10 days so I am wondering how they are doing out there. I should open it and check but I just haven't yet.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Wow QA....that is amazing! They have been crazy busy in there. They look really good though and I'm proud of you for going out there! It is really intimidating at first isn't it? :p

PP, 10 days! You'd better get out there and check on your girls!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
well afterwards, and since they weren't really aggressive at all, I felt kind of foolish not wanting to go out there without help :lol:

I'm back to no veil. Since mom knows my hive was taken care of yesterday, she sent my step dad out to retrieve her veil.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Ooooo....I'm not gonna comment on that one.

I am gonna try to get my neighbor to help me this weekend since hubby is gonna be out of town so I can get some pics and clean up the burr comb and move the frame over to the other hive and probably put on the other hive body on the one first hive.

I'm glad I got 2 nucs cause if the one fails at least then I have everything set up in case the other one swarms next year after I clean it up.

I will also have to get a picture of our nuc boxes that the gentleman we got ours from built. They are wonderful! Normally you get nucs in wax coated cardboard boxes but he made these out of wood. They are really something else. They will be great for capturing swarms in the future or splitting off a hive if we need to.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We have a fella in our beek association that builds wooden nucs. For a complete with frames (no bees), I think he charges $45

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
What cool pictures! I picked up my nuc today and drove them home in the back of my car :D These are really gentle bees- I like them already! I was told not to mess with the hive for about a week so they can free the queen and settle in and I can then see if the queen is out and laying. She is marked, so I can probably find her.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Awesome photos! Your "mess" looks like the combs my bees build in their topbar hives. Just gorgeous!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i love bees!

they dont realy love me though...:(

im thinking about offering land space for a local beek to set up a hive or 2 in exchange for a little honey and some wax.
that way i get the benefit of bees, on my property, without the risk of dying everytime i have to go check on them lol.

ill take the lesser risk of being stung in the garden by accident, but purposly putting myself in the position of being stung every time i have to check the hive just seems a little silly...:p

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I would love to do a topbar hive someday....gotta get better with the bees first. Its on my to do list :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
E and I are both pretty interested into setting up the 8 frame garden hives. It's not common around here, everyone else is using the 10 frame Langstroth (i think I got that right) and that's what I'm starting with, but .....We're both leaning towards the 8 Frame Garden hive for our next hive if we decide to expand.

Latest posts