Adventures in Beekeeping - Journey To Liquid Gold - Pics

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
E and I are both pretty interested into setting up the 8 frame garden hives. It's not common around here, everyone else is using the 10 frame Langstroth (i think I got that right) and that's what I'm starting with, but .....We're both leaning towards the 8 Frame Garden hive for our next hive if we decide to expand.
As you know, last year, I used both the 8-frame hive body and the 10-frame hive body. I think there are some problems owning both; but there are some advantages as well.

my thoughts....

If you, like me, are the only one in your beek association using 8-frame equipment, you won't be able to call for "a borrow" when you need a piece of 8-frame eqiupment. You have to make sure you already own it or can get it quickly.

-----Does the place closest to you (Delroy?) stock 8-frame equipment? I know QueenRight does, but they are in Spencer, in Lorain County.

If you use 10-frame, anyone who beeks is potential help when you need equipment.

Nothing between the 8-frame and 10-frame equipment is interchangeable, except the frames. So storage space is needed for equipment for parts for both sized hives. This could include unassembled woodenware, assembled spare hive bodies, supers, queen excluders, escape boards, bottom boards, entrance reducers inner covers, Miller feeders (if using), and top covers.

----Would you have the room for the storage? It would need to be safe from weather but with ventilation and reasonably safe from mice, moths, etc.

Although any equipment will be heavy when filled with honey and the bees, the 8-frame equipment is noticeably lighter.

The 8-frame equipment is easier to get a grip on and carry if you have smaller hands.

The copper-topped garden hive looks very lovely in the yard.

----Personally, I would get it paraffin coated. QueenRight does this. Here is a link with more info - because ADMIT IT! That paraffin deep hive body is a beauty! ;)
http://www.queenrightcolonies.com/Paraffin_Hot_Dip.html

After all this, it is a personal choice. Do what you want and be happy with your decision.

The honey tastes just as sweet from either hive.

And the bees just don't really care. :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Oh yes, that deep parrifin hive is GORGEOUS and we're probably going to keep going with parrifin coated - you know, cuz it's all gotta match (bees might not care, but I DO! lol)

We're not looking to set up a garden hive tomorrow or anything, but the look of them appeals to us better than plan square boxes - mostly because of their copper top :p

We'd probably not set up additional Langstroth if we go with a garden hive, so we'd just have the one Langstroth and a gazzillion garden hives :p

But, it's not something we've definitely decided on yet.

E would like to build up our hives and look into renting them out to farmers for pollination. He's been doing a lot of research into it, right down to how and when to transport the hive of bees to the farmer!

But, even that is a ways off. Right now, we're just thoroughly enjoying that we have one hive - and I'm so tickled that my sweet husband who wasn't all that sold on my getting bees, is just as excited and into it as I am.

It so isn't like that at ALL with the chickens :lol: :rolleyes:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Oh yes, that deep parrifin hive is GORGEOUS and we're probably going to keep going with parrifin coated - you know, cuz it's all gotta match (bees might not care, but I DO! lol)

We're not looking to set up a garden hive tomorrow or anything, but the look of them appeals to us better than plan square boxes - mostly because of their copper top :p
You could just purchase a copper-topped telescoping cover for the 10-frame equipment you have. Then it would look like a garden hive. Here is the one Brushy Mountain sells, but you may be able to get them elsewhere.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/10-Frame-English-Copper-Top/productinfo/667C/

Quail_Antwerp said:
We'd probably not set up additional Langstroth if we go with a garden hive, so we'd just have the one Langstroth and a gazzillion garden hives :p But, it's not something we've definitely decided on yet.
So by garden hive, do you mean a top bar hive? They are two different things.

The 8-frame equipment is usually referred to as an English Garden Hive, or just Garden Hive. That is what I still have. This is what my hive is....

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/8-Frame-English-Garden-Hive/productinfo/254CW/

The top bar hive is like PamsPride and me&thegals have. This link shows some examples of top bar hives.

http://www.beginningbeekeeping.com/TopBarHiveBeekeeping.html

Quail_Antwerp said:
E would like to build up our hives and look into renting them out to farmers for pollination. He's been doing a lot of research into it, right down to how and when to transport the hive of bees to the farmer!
I think it is always a good plan to do lots of research before jumping in. (You know me, research everything to death!) But there are a number of books (maybe even available through the Ohio library system) about becoming a pollinator beek.

Some fun and interesting reading, imo, is A Country Year: Living the Questions, A Book of Bees: and How to Keep Them, On This Hilltop, or Far-Flung Hubbell]/b] all written by Sue Hubbell about her life. Here is a link to her site http://www.suehubbell.com/

Quail_Antwerp said:
But, even that is a ways off. Right now, we're just thoroughly enjoying that we have one hive - and I'm so tickled that my sweet husband who wasn't all that sold on my getting bees, is just as excited and into it as I am.

It so isn't like that at ALL with the chickens :lol: :rolleyes:
I have found people either love or hate it, there doesn't seem to be an in-between. ;)

edited to correct links

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
WE FOUND MY QUEEN!! WE FOUND MY QUEEN!!

She was on the third frame that we checked, and yes I got a picture!

also, they are already pulling out the comb and had some places with necter and the queen had already started laying eggs again!! :celebrate

I'll post the pics as soon as I can.

eta: no one got stung, we didn't spray them, smoke them, use gloves or veils!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I need to do some more looking into what capped brood will look like then.
QA, see if your local library has the new June 2011 issue of Bee Culture. There are some great pics and articles in this month's issue you will find helpful.

The issue that is online is not the June 2011 issue.

http://www.beeculture.com/

:weee Glad to hear you found your queen bee and she is doing well!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Yea! for finding the queen and she is laying! :D I can't wait to see what my girls are doing. I am almost convincing SO to go near the hive to help :gig

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yay!!! See, it gets easier :lol:

And you thought you were gonna throw up......:p

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I'm so late getting this pic up, as this is from a week ago Friday, but here is the pic I took of the queen in my hive.

We've named her Queen Victoria :p (i know, so original)

14550_100_0952.jpg