Adventures of OkieAnnie's "homestead"

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mom told me this story about an older woman who is going to go into assisted living. She was being given a tour of the facilities, and the guide says that she will show the woman her room. She exclaims "I love it!" and the guide says, "but you haven't seen it yet!" And the woman replies, "I know, but I've made up my mind that I love it, and I will."

I try to remember that attitude, because I tend to be negative. I try to ask myself a question before I talk (I'm not very good at it, but I'm getting better!). "Will I be helping myself or the listener by making this comment?" If not, why do I need to say it?

Anyway, I've had to work on these things. Hope that helps. ;)

Oh, I wanted to ask, how do you make scrubbies from plastic bags??

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing that, HennyPenny. We are all works in progress. It is nice when we can help each other on the journey.

The plastic bag scrubbies, I take plastic bags, cut the bottom off (just where the seam is) then cut them in strips to make loops, then put the loops together to make a long chain, then I crochet a circle, about 3 rows. I sometimes add 2 rows of cotton yarn so you can use it to wash or scrub at the same time.

I will try to post picks.

http://planetmfiles.com/2008/09/06/how-to-make-plarn/

http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2007/06/10/pot-scrubber-crocheted-from-plastic-bags/

These are the links that gave me my inspiration.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made a reusable grocery bag from plastic bags. It works really well. Next time, I'll be making the handle a bit differently. I was thinking of making it a double layered handle with one layer going one way and the other heading the other way.

ETA: I understand the whole call center thing. Both DH and I have worked in them. What used to drive me crazy was when they would complain because there was no work to do (slow volume days). He and i would always be reminding them that they were being paid to do nothing. Why complain?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Hope this story helps cheer you OkieAnnie -

This is something to think about when negative people are doing their best to rain on your parade. So remember this story the next time someone who knows nothing and cares less tries to make your life miserable.

A woman was at her hairdresser's getting her hair styled for a trip to Rome with her husband.. She mentioned the trip to the hairdresser, who responded:

"Rome ? Why would anyone want to go there? It's crowded and dirty.. You're crazy to go to Rome. So, how are you getting there?"

"We're taking Continental," was the reply. "We got a great rate!"

"Continental?" exclaimed the hairdresser. " That's a terrible airline. Their planes are old, their flight attendants are ugly, and they're always late. So, where are you staying in Rome ?"

"We'll be at this exclusive little place over on Rome's Tiber River called Teste."

"Don't go any further. I know that place. Everybody thinks its gonna be something special and exclusive, but it's really a dump."

"We're going to go to see the Vatican and maybe get to see the Pope."

"That's rich," laughed the hairdresser. You and a million other people trying to see him. He'll look the size of an ant.

Boy, good luck on this lousy trip of yours. You're going to need it."

A month later, the woman again came in for a hairdo. The hairdresser asked her about her trip to Rome .

"It was wonderful," explained the woman, "not only were we on time in one of Continental's brand new planes, but it was overbooked, and they bumped us up to first class. The food and wine were wonderful, and I had a handsome 28-year-old steward who waited on me hand and foot.

And the hotel was great! They'd just finished a $5 million remodeling job, and now it's a jewel, the finest hotel in the city. They, too, were overbooked, so they apologized and gave us their owner's suite at no extra charge!"

"Well," muttered the hairdresser, "that's all well and good, but I know you didn't get to see the Pope."

"Actually, we were quite lucky, because as we toured the Vatican, a Swiss Guard tapped me on the shoulder, and explained that the Pope likes to meet some of the visitors, and if I'd be so kind as to step into his private room and wait, the Pope would personally greet me.

Sure enough, five minutes later, the Pope walked through the door and shook my hand! I knelt down and he spoke a few words to me."

"Oh, really! What'd he say ?"

He said: "Who did such a horrible job on your hair?"

:lol:

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
:yuckyuck I love it! That was great! :love
Thank you for sharing Keljonma :hugs I needed it.

So, my corn is doing really well and my Grandfather, who grew up in the '30's told me to fill a wheel barrel with ice water when we pick it, keep it cold until we husk it or freeze it, he said it won't get starchy, but be really sweet and wonderful that way. I can't wait to have some corn to harvest and try. We only have 40-45 corn plants. I started with 52, but lost a few to the dog next door.

My hubby is so great, he and the boys hauled off some logs and got the place all spruced up, grass cut and such. I am at work and thanks to you all I am handling my cubical neighbors a little better, not letting them get to me.

I have made several scrubbies from plastic bags and have put signs up around work asking people to bring in their plastic bags for me. I found a link with tons of stuff to crochet from plastic bags. I am hoping to be a little more disciplined and getting more made while I am at work waiting for downloads and such on the phone.

My oldest turned 14 yesterday and I can't believe it. How fast time flies.

My youngest is almost 5 and we are still working on the desire to have a party to get presents. She was not this way at Christmas. I don't know what has changed, but now she is all about gifts. I am not sure if I should just realise she will grow out of this and back off a little. She cried today when I sat her next to me and talked to her about celebrating the gift she is to us from God and blessing our friends by having them over but not inviting people just to get presents and that we should not even expect any. :idunno The boys have always just been happy to have friends share in a get together or trip to the fire department or something.

Well, back to work.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
OkieAnnie said:
ok, I am so frustrated with my co-workers. I sat near a bunch of realy great people, but when the company reconfigured our queue and hours of operation I am now on a new team. This is a bunch of winner babies. Oh, they complain about everything, place customers on hold, talk rudely about the customers, including cursing, (placing the customer on mute, most of the time) so agrivating.

I work in a call center. The tough part is allot of times my customers hear these crazies complaining about the poor souls that they have on the phone. They were complaining about being moved from the billing department to my troubleshooting department. Now, they are taking calls for billing to help out with the release of a new device. They are complaing about it! We just found out we are not working on July 3rd in celebration of 4th of July and they are cursing about it! uggghhh :barnie
it realy bothers me. So, one of them started spraying this fragrance that has set my eyes to burning and I am breaking out in hives.

So, I am done ranting. I just don't understand how you can have a job and be so negative about every aspect of it. I don't know why they have so little courtesy. We are a call center, they should keep their voices down. When I try to be postive they lash out at me. So, now I am done. I hope I can keep it cool with my customers, that I enjoy helping, I don't want to get irritated with them because of my cube neighbors.

So . . I need my daughter to sing Zippity Doo Dah for me. She is just sweet as pie. ahh, now I really am good. :)
Okie, I have found this on nearly every job I've been in. My current job was like that until I encouraged my co-workers to find jobs that make them happier....and they did!!! :D

Then I started praying for my boss, as she has a few problems that make it hard to work for her. God has me on a campaign to "love her" so I started a secret sister kind of thing and every other week or so I give her a gift and a card or sometimes just a card....but she doesn't know from where they are coming. I've noticed she has been nicer and less snappy since receiving these tokens.

This has been hard for me, as we have nothing in common and I don't particularly like her or anything. But...God said to do it, just as plain as day, so I'm on a mission. Just tryin' to make the job easier to go to each day.

I think cranky, disgruntled co-workers are the main reason going to work is so hard for most people...its like a plague and its catching. I've often found myself feeling edgy just being around it. And they really resent and actively dislike happy people! Have you found this to be so for you?

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
yes, Bee, I find that what you notice about it being a plague and growing and making me feel edgy just at the thought of being around them. I love that you are on a mission with your boss. How cool is that? I imagine it must be fairly difficult for you, but how amazing to see God work through it and see her become less snappy. :hugs A little light and a little love go a long way.

So, we started growing these great plants. They are growing, and for the most part, thriving. I now realize that I have no idea of how to tell when things are ripe! :he So, our corn looks great and the silky part is now turning a darker color. I have so few that I don't want to pick it too early, but I also don't want to pick it too late or worse, have it rot on the plant because I was too chicken to pick it. I have carrots that I think I should pull up because they haven't grown in several weeks, but I am so afraid they are too small. Then again, I have no idea of what variety I planted and maybe it is a small varriety of carrot. :lol:

So, the adventure I am currently on is the "to pick or not to pic" adventure. I will keep you posted. I also have cucumbers. I think you are supposed to pick them before they get too big and tough. So, I will take a wild guess as those, too. I am smart enough to know when to pick the strawberries and tomatoes, though. LOL . . too funny.

My superman husband had this week off and in the 100+ heat everyday this week he made all kinds of improvement on our place. He built a brick wall around our fire pit, built me 7 benches to go around the pit, watered my garedn, built a tether ball pole and sunk it in the ground really well and fixed our daughters play fort. He also did lots of clean up work on the place and built a folding BBQ table. He rocks! The one nice thing about temps so high and humidity so low is that when I am hanging clothes out on the line, the clothes that I hang first are dry before the last item in the load is hung. I hang the load and then pull it off the line in the same trip! The clothes actually take longer to wash than to dry. :celebrate

so, I am off to figure out what I want to try to plant in the fall and to order seeds. I do know that over the winter we want to grow spinich and other leave lettuces to have fresh salad all winter. I would do radishes, that I think I heard do well in a cold frame here in the winter as well as the lettuce.

We are having a 3rd of July party since I work on the 4th. So far it looks like we have around 30 people coming. It should be a blast. Hubby has a water balloon game planned and now we have the fire pit, benches, grill table and tether ball ready as well as the fort with the zip-line and the smaller fort with the swings and such for the younger kids. I am looking forward to it.

I am off the read the forum and see what great information I can learn from all the wise people on this great forum. Have a great weekend, everyone!

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
I started my day today with personal time out in the back of our property on a bench my hubby made during his week off last week. It was so fantastic. I could hear cows, lambs, all kinds of birds. It was so nice and cool and a small, gentle breeze was blowing through. Such a wonderful and calm way to start the day.

I got quite a bit done and then a friend called asking if she can stop by. She brought a cooler filled with food for our cook-out on Friday. Such a great friend! We had a nice visit and her grandson played with my daughter for about an hour.

I then had to head off to work. My family should be at Boy Scouts right now. I wish I was there with them. sigh, but I am so blessed that I can work a schedule that allows me so much time with them.

And, with such a beautiful start to the day followed by such a lovely surprise visit with a dear friend. ahhh. Life is good.

Latest posts