Advice needed on new tractor- CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Jamie......if all else fails.....one more thing to look at would be adding an extra gasket or two, or even a wooden gasket, between the carb and the engine block. ANYTHING to steal away engine heat from that carb.

Can you get me a picture or three of the carb/engine/air cleaner assembly??

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I'll get to this later this week - probably won't be until Saturday. Busy week in the household! :D

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It seems that the one thing no one has discussed so far is the possibility of a "ball/valve" piece of "debris" at the interface between the gas tank and the fuel line. Since it runs periodically for variable periods of time, the fact occured to me that it might just be getting something to plug the fuel line on the tank side just when the fuel level reaches a certain point.

It should be a rather simple situation. I have a lot of JD stuff including a 5425 utility tractor. I have some gripes with the design because of where they put some very critical connectors that can be "disconnected" at very inopportune moments and are "out in the open" but that is not what this is about.

For my money, I'd clean out that gas tank. Take it off, flush it out and clean any particulate matter out of it and see what happens. The fuel filter is much closer to the engine than to the tank so it would not see this piece of "gradoo" in the fuel line and since the fuel line has been changed, it wouldn't seem reasonable to assume it is blocked anywhere else.

If the carburetor is clean and there is no debris in the bowl, then you may have to just remove that fuel tank and flush it clean. Might as well since you've tried most everything else.

On the other side of the coin is the "shoot the horse" practice and get another horse. I'd suggest the Tractor trader magazine which will have some stuff in it but an old tractor that may not LOOK PRETTY will still work like a dog if the engine/transmission is in good order. You can get them at farm sales, auctions and old tractor dealer lots. Heck around here there are still a few guys running 9N and 8N's (gas operated) and a bunch that have old two cylinder JD A, B, etc. for some chores. You don't have to go into debt to get another tractor but it helps to get it from a guy who takes good care of stuff and you'll know that when you look at it.

Most guys who do the maintenance write the date of the last change on each part; air filters, oil filters, etc. If it starts pretty good, has good "maintenance markings" on it and runs, don't worry about the "beauty". Most guys seem to leave them out in the weather for years and all it does is erode the paint. You can always take them down and repaint them but if it is "repainted" and you can't see anything but the new paint on absolutely everything, beware.

HOpe this helps.
//BT//
Trim sends

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Thanks, Trim. I will definitely try that.

When the tractor runs consistently, I love using it.

Keep the ideas coming. Saturday looks like the first day I can get to it.

Thanks again, everyone.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
No update. Saturday was consumed by another project. :p

Sunday was a "visiting" day.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Okay, I had a touch of the stomach owies last night, and still a little this morning, so I took the day off. Natural Vitamin D from the sun is taking meds, right?

I push the tractor out on the driveway, thinking I will need to jump it with the car to try to get it started. My goal was to move it so I could get my tiller and the wagon out I had the meaties in (to clean it). I have all my tools, etc ready to attack the beast.

On a whim, I sit down and try to fire it up. I mowed for about 45 minutes! Had to stop to help DW get some work stuff in her van. Back on, won't crank. Had electricity, starter wouldn't turn over.

Walk over to the neighbors to borrow their dinky little thing and start mowing. 30 minutes later, I've had enough. Get back on the Deere, and it fires right up. Just came in for some lunch after mowing almost 2 hours with it. :barnie

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Okay, I had a touch of the stomach owies last night, and still a little this morning, so I took the day off. Natural Vitamin D from the sun is taking meds, right?

I push the tractor out on the driveway, thinking I will need to jump it with the car to try to get it started. My goal was to move it so I could get my tiller and the wagon out I had the meaties in (to clean it). I have all my tools, etc ready to attack the beast.

On a whim, I sit down and try to fire it up. I mowed for about 45 minutes! Had to stop to help DW get some work stuff in her van. Back on, won't crank. Had electricity, starter wouldn't turn over.

Walk over to the neighbors to borrow their dinky little thing and start mowing. 30 minutes later, I've had enough. Get back on the Deere, and it fires right up. Just came in for some lunch after mowing almost 2 hours with it. :barnie
:/ Well.......what have you tried to fix it? Or are ya just gonna run it till it collapses permanently? :lol:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
FarmerJamie said:

:/ Well.......what have you tried to fix it? Or are ya just gonna run it till it collapses permanently? :lol:
I gave it "last rites" before I got on it. :D

I made sure the tank was clean (it was empty), and checked all the connections to make sure they were snug. I took pictures like SKR8PN suggested, but it was very clean.
2768_sdc10369.jpg

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
4 months later - update. Tractor ran like a top for about 3 months without me doing anything. The last really hot spell we had, the tractor started acting up again. Have another mechanic looking at it - they have re-produced the problem, but have no solution.

I guess it's time to start thinking about replacing it.... :he I can't find anything with a 60 inch mower deck, I love the bigger mowing cut, it really cuts down on the mowing time.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Can you find a pull behind or a PTO finish mower that would work for you with whatever new tractor your looking at?
I still LOVE my Kubota, and they offer a 60 in. mid mount deck for the BX series.........just sayin......:D