Advice Needed on Value Added Products

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
Coasters out of bits of wood. Every year we cut the quarter inch off our christmas tree, tung oil the piece of wood, and they make really cool coasters.
We have been working on this coaster idea with juniper wood from the woodpile. We found it is necessary to immediately apply the tung oil to keep the wood from developing cracks, even if it is several years dry. They are coming out really pretty and nice, I need to think cute packaging! Thanks lupinfarm. :hugs

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Someplace I have a "recipe" for preparing terra cota flowerpots to bake in...and a recipe for bread to bake in them. I'll look for that, if you like. You could "prepare" the pots (I think it's oiling it and then seasoning like a cast iron skillet) and then bag up the ingredients and recipe to put inside. Nice for spring?

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I thought of mixed greens prepared in a bag as a salad set.
I think mixed greens are a really good idea because you can have them ready to sell before much other fresh produce is available. If you do this, package it in clear bags and grow a lot of edible flowers and mix it in with the greens. It will make for a very colorful, eyecatching presentation that will draw people to your booth, and they'll feel sort of daring and exotic buying and serving it, but not so daring that they won't buy it! Could you also get some early new potatoes or fingerling potatoes going so your booth has basically a whole meal available, salad, potatoes, and meat? (and you mentoned green onions right, which would be great for roasting with the potatoes) If you do the potatoes, get some blue potatoes, red potatoes, and all kinds of those crazy fingerling types. Now I'm hungry!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you are talking about a summer market, planting a bed of cut flowers, both perennial and annual, can have you selling fresh cut flowers also.
There is a lady at our farmer's market that JUST sells cut gladiolas. The woman sells out so fast it is silly.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes! I know of a retired guy in OH who was researching about making extra money on his acre lot. He planted zinnias(you know how easy these are!) and cleared $5000 selling them, per stem, to his local flourists. They got a good deal because they didn't have to pay for shipping and he found a ready market. Said it was the easiest $5000 he ever made!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
What about dried herb mixtures for salad dressings? I make these for myself when I am out of frozen basil....people love my salad dressings. You can package them in little ziploc craft bags, like the heavier 2x3" bags, and tie a cute instruction card on with a bit of raffia, print the card out on a more "rustic" looking 65 lb paper and fold it in half, with a catchy name on the outside. Store and display them in large glass jars with tight-fitting lids so the flavors stay fresh and don't intermingle, and you can bring the same jars back week after week, rotating newer stock to the bottom of the jars. You could make these up with the rub mixtures and the bean soup spice mixture during the slow times of the year.

And I don't think anyone mentioned those cute layered mixes in canning jars for cakes and cookies and such that are more about the packaging....not sure if it is $ efficient, though.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FC

If you have spare time in the evenings(which it sounds like you don't lol), maybe you could take up beading small jewelry. My wife makes traditional Chickasaw regalia(and some with a modern twist) for everyday wear or powwow. She does pretty good, its a paying hobby(I'm so proud of her!)

Here is an example....traditional beaded womens collar, with 2 different styles of ear rings. The collar would sell for $60, the ear rings for $10-20.

478_100_1518.jpg

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW I love this thread and the fact people keep adding onto it.

There are great ideas being posted here for everyone who might need to add onto their sales if they farm and such!

COOL!

TW
and the beading work is absolutley stunning. I know that is time consuming but your wifes work is so nice! and it provides some income which is something to be proud of......to do what you enjoy and make some income....best of both worlds!

Great ideas ALL----this thread will be wonderful for everyone needing this type of info!!!!!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
TW - your wife does great work. I hate doing seed bead work. Those little things just keep getting away from me. LOL So I know
your wife must be awesome to be doing that. Tell her I said she has my respect.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll tell her. I'm so proud of her, she learened from her mom. She makes most of the regalia for the Chickasaw Dance troop(our kids are part of it also). Heres a couple of pics of other stuff.

Beaded collar with conchos on traditional Chickasaw dress

478_100_1552.jpg

Courtney and Lolo at a dance with beaded collars on

478_100_1270.jpg

Having trouble uploading most pics for some reason, but ya'll get the gist. Thanks for the compliments!!!

Latest posts