After all this time, do you see a difference?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone had implemented any of the measures they had read on here or other places when it comes to going all-natural with their, or their animal's, health?

After some time have you seen a difference?

Did the things you tried actually work? Can you see the results?

I, for one, have been greatly pleased with the results of the things I learned from Joel Salatin's books regarding good herd/flock health.

I'm just starting with the sheep this year and took a flying leap at cows this spring. With both sets of animals, I was pleased with the results of using soap for de-worming, vinegar in the water, and using kelp meal and coarse salt for minerals.

The kelp meal was expensive but it lasts a long time and the animals only eat it when they need it. I don't put it in the feed but offer it free choice.

My smaller sheep, the runt of triplets that had to be supplemented with a bottle feeding when she was little~she has caught up with her larger herdmate. You cannot tell who was the runt now and they are both very healthy and sleek.

You all know how well it all turned out with the milk cow and her calf. I was able to turn a $500 profit within 2 1/2 months on that deal by just using these simple methods for reconditioning her back into better health.

Any success stories for you all? If so, can you tell us what you did and what happened?

If not, can you do the same?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ah I need to get that book next!!!!!

I have had wonderful success with my chickens going "all natural" with ACV in their h2o, cayenne pepper and yogurt and whey etc.

I still have a ways to go with the rest of the herd.

I've gotta get that book!!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but we've got a healthy flock of turkeys and hens who have ACV and kombucha in their water, great treats from the garden, my whey after making butter and occasional yogurt. I don't know how they would be if they didn't have all this plus foraging, but they're doing great with it.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
you may want to look into using MMS or what was known as stabilized oxygen in its first generation for microbe and parasite control in your animals.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Since joining this site I've noticed quite a bit of difference in a variety of things.

I have stopped using comercial shampoo and have been using baking soda and an ACV rinse for several months. I haven't noticed any drawbacks and my hair stays fresher and my scalp healthier since changing methods.

I made my own natural deoderant that is better than storebought as it isn't as harsh on my skin and still gets the job done.

I have learned a LOT from Free about eating healthier and how the body works, and how to improve overall health, she's our own personal food doctor! I've learned even more about the dangers of some of todays foods, and I've learned about really good foods that help a person and body.

I've learned about wild edibles; purslane, leeks, yellow & curly dock and more, many of which I have eaten and enjoyed.

I've also learned more about herbal medicine, mainly from sources like Susun Weed, some of which I'm in the process of trying, as well as things I've learned and tried that have worked.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ha! I broke ALL the rules with my hens...I have three left that I haven't fed in 2 months now...they have to forage for everything. They have no access to the henhouse, they have taken to roosting on the roof of the henhouse...and believe it or not they are doing far better than they ever did when I was taking care of them...Thier feathers are in amazing condition. The only problem is that I have no idea where they are laying thier eggs:>) In the fall I will have some *very* good and organic chickens in my freezer

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My little flock of ducks is fat and sassy :D

They get ACV weekly. Plenty of forage. Even the neighbor's bring veggie scraps for my little brats.

I am taking some areas of the yard that have been difficult and am planting things just for the ducks. I have a little red clover patch outside their pen right now. I will be overseeding some of the grass with white clover.

I loved "Everything I want to do is illegal" by Joel Salatin.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I was pretty much doing the same stuff with my animals before finding y'all....but I think it was here that I may have learned about Joel Salatin. I have "intensively grazed" a portion of my pasture with my scythe, lacking a cow, and it is the lushest portion.

I put ACV in the water now and then (still not a habit and I foget mostly!), which I never did before. I plan to get some

I still enjoy buying whole grains and being told I will kill my chickens with it.....shhhh, don't tell the hens....and that goats must have medicated feed or they will all die. My only chick loss this year, btw, was to a hawk.

I've mostly received encouragement from this group to try new things with food and food preservation and gardening! Very valuable!