Ah, Spring! Back to hanging out the clothes!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I know some of you do it fulltime, but I have to admit I fall off the wagon during the dark, cold of winter. Now the fount heater is turned off and the dryer will be silent for the next six or seven months. That electric bill will come down from $100. Then I heard the local electric company wants to lower the rates this summer. Propane, too. Bring it on!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have saved most of my laundry for this weekend so I didn't have to use the dryer.

I also fall off the wagon in the winter. My clothes would freeze on the line if I hung them out during the worst part of the winter.

I've tried putting them on drying racks inside, but that just didn't work out for me.

Hurray for spring!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I hung out mine for the first time last week since fall. Nothing comes close to that fresh scent of cotton. My pillow cases and sheets were heavenly that night! :love

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Whoohooo!! I can't wait to hang a load of clothes out!! Whooohooo!

We have to run up a new clothesline this spring. For some reason, DH needed some rope for something over the winter, so he stole half my clothesline! :ep

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Whoohooo!! I can't wait to hang a load of clothes out!! Whooohooo!

We have to run up a new clothesline this spring. For some reason, DH needed some rope for something over the winter, so he stole half my clothesline! :ep
Now thems fightin words! He stole your clothsline!??? Ohhhh, why I aughtta!! LOL Well, at least you will get a new one...LOL
I have hung out several loads already this spring. I too fall from the wagon when winter hits. Nothing like warm jammies in the winter! ;)
I am looking for the first few days in the lower 80's, so we can drag the mattresses outside. I just LOVE to get them aired out come late spring.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yesterday was such a great drying day I got three loads hung successively - and all three dried. I don't have a lot of drying room, so one load fills both my folding dryer and my one line. I'm working on getting a bigger line set up.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I strung up a temporary clothesline for the wife to try last year when our dryer croaked. She LOVED it so much, that yesterday, I built and installed her a permanent one! I used a couple of treated 4x4's to build them, sunk them in the ground 3 ft deep with concrete to hold'm. If the weather cooperates this week, I'll get the coated cables strung up and she will be in business!! 3 lines, 30 foot long!!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Am I he only one who hates those stiff clothes?

I do line dry but then I have to toss in the dryer for 5 minutes or so to soften them up. I know that still saves money on dry time but I really wish there was a way to line dry and got those soft cuddly clothes that I love without the help of the dryer.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Windy weather will soften the clothes a bit. I don't hang because of allergies. My favorite drying rack finally bit the dust, and I am going to make one for next winter.

A few years ago, when in OK City for the Morgan Nationals with a client (massage therapist's version of a paid vacation :p ) I picked up a cute black metal mitten tree with a "weathervane" Morgan horse cutout on top. As I carried it around the vendor area, I cannot tell you how many people stopped to ask me, "Excuse me, what is that???" :lol: And when I told them it is a mitten tree, they still said, "A what? What's a mitten tree?"

:lol: These are people from OK, TX, etc who don't know about having a zillion pairs of wet mittens, hats, scarves, etc. drying by the woodstove every day! Works great with those extra thick socks, too, and is darn cute when not in use.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Spring? We just got two inches of new snow! It's 30 degrees out there. This is all my fault for whining that it had been too warm and dry so now we're getting winter just when I want to be outside.