Ah, Spring! Back to hanging out the clothes!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
solarkate said:
THANK YOU SO MUCH! You've given me such a good idea! Your household appliances use about 10% of the bill, so hanging your clothes could save so much money! :D
Welcome!!!! I imagine the dryer is the biggest energy sucking appliance there is, --I notice my hydro susage goes waaaay down when I start line drying.

Did three loads today!! :weee

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's Winter here so we do still get the odd day I can line dry, I have 2 hills hoists clotheslines and also a line in my garage, and 3 massive indoor lines you set up near the wood heater. Very attractive :rolleyes: Got to have the wash in by 3.30 though as it gets chilly then.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am fighting the "dark cloudy mornings" and SHOULD I HANG out stuff cause it might rain.....then I use the dryer and the stupid sun comes out for a good bit......then an afternoon T-storm comes in and would have wet the clothes anyway....LOL

I am caught in lousey summer weather right now!! GGGrrrrr,,,,,

I hate using the dryer but sure do if necessary. I want to line dry and hope the stupid weather starts to cooperate more!

So have to do a load this morning and YUP---looks like rain out there, but will the sun shine in a bit??? who knows..HA HA HA

oh the drama!! :)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Yea, we have the "is it going to rain or not drama" here, too.

You sure can't hang them out and leave all evening. Sometimes, I feel like I have to babysit clothes.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The other day, I was able to get a load dried on the line before the thunderstorms started. I was sooooo happy!

But we are scheduled to get thunderstorms tonight through Sunday! And I will have another load of clothes to do on Thursday. So they will have to go into the dryer.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It has pretty much rained every day since I put up my clothesline. I had no idea that's all it took to end a drought :p

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Apparently, monsoon season is here in full force. It is later in the year than normal and is producing quite a few monstrous thunderstorms. In the last week, we've had Tornado Watches and Warnings almost every day. We have had afternoon thunderstorms every day for the last 10 days. Good thing is that if you hang your clothes in the morning, they'll still be dry before the afternoon.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is still on my long "to-do" list to put up the umbrella style clothesline I bought last year. :/

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We're supposed to have about 48 hours without rain, so I threw a load in this morning and it's out on the line, the sun keeps going in and out, but no rain on the horizon - hopefully it'll hold! I want to wash my scatter rugs, I'll do that later on this afternoon and hang them out tomorrow, it's supposed to be clear and sunny all day long.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I am fighting the "dark cloudy mornings" and SHOULD I HANG out stuff cause it might rain.....then I use the dryer and the stupid sun comes out for a good bit......then an afternoon T-storm comes in and would have wet the clothes anyway....LOL

I am caught in lousey summer weather right now!! GGGrrrrr,,,,,

I hate using the dryer but sure do if necessary. I want to line dry and hope the stupid weather starts to cooperate more!

So have to do a load this morning and YUP---looks like rain out there, but will the sun shine in a bit??? who knows..HA HA HA

oh the drama!! :)
Every day, I check the weather forecast. If the POP is above 70%, I won't wash, b/c I don't want to risk it getting rained on. I just hold that load off for another day.

In winter, I wash a load a day, in summer, I stock pile for good drying days. If the forcast is calling for rain for more thatn three days in a row, I bite the bullet and use the drier.

But even if the POP is 60%, I'll chance hanging it on the line.

Latest posts