Ahhh, family is so critical

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If any of you had a 5 day old baby right now would you be limiting visitors with this outbreak going on of swine flu? My sister is tearing me to peices right now because I am not allowing anyone near the baby for the next few days until we see where this thing is heading. Am I being over protective? Should I just allow everyone to track into the house to see her from other cities where there are confirmed cases and in this city where they are investigating possible cases?
I am being majorly crirsized for not allowing her to come from Toronto right now...SHEESH!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
NO!!! You are not being overprotective! You do what you think is best.

This outbreak is really scary, especially to the elderly and infants. I know I would rather have a mad sister than a sick baby.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Ahhh Family.... :love :smack :D

I think I would. You have to do what is going to make your daughter feel safest.

You could possibly say - no family now please ... mama and daughter are still getting settled. Then plan to have a family "come meet our bundle of joy" gathering in a week or two. (When possibly there will be more information about the situation.)

edited for clarity

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Am I being over protective?
If your sister just got back from Mexico or is sneezing, coughing or showing other illness symptoms (or someone else in her family is)...no

Otherwise....yes.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
No, my sister and her husband own a fine dining restarant, and are around hundreds of people everyday that they serve and pick up dirty dishes from.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If any of you had a 5 day old baby right now would you be limiting visitors with this outbreak going on of swine flu?
Absolutely! In fact, I was in Wal-mart yesterday; and someone had a newborn baby with them. Every time I heard the baby cry, I would cringe just thinking how crazy that was to bring a newborn baby out in public right now with the possibility of swine flu going around. We do have confirmed cases here in SC where I live.
:th

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yes, when mine were born I always stayed home for at least two weeks and had very limited visitors because I wanted their little immune systems to be functioning before contact with others. And it seems to have been a good thing because my children have been very rarely ill.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Some hospitals here are asking any visitor who is exhibiting flu or cold symptoms to stay home or they are asked to leave the hospital.
People don't always use common sense, so it is up to you to protect you and yours. Not only that, but with the OTC medications, contagious symptoms can easily be masked.
Sorry, but I'm with you on this. I think Keljonma was spot on with the tactful approach, though. It will prevent hurt feelings.

ETA-What I mean by masked is that they are sick but the cough syrup or whatever they are using hushes the symptoms but they are still sick and spreading viruses. I didn't mean wearing a mask.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Just had a baby so I can honestly say YES!!! Keep the baby safe! 6 weeks...minimum!!! It was RSV season when I had my little one. A guy my dad drives for..his baby...2 days older than mine got RSV and was in the hospital for 8 days. She was only 3 or 4 weeks old at the time. I stayed home with baby girl for about 8 weeks. I wanted her to at least be over 6 pounds before I took her out in public. I have the benefit of living in the middle of no where so people can not just stop by.