Ahhh, family is so critical

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yes, we have planned a baby shower when the baby reaches the three week point (and depending on where this pandemic is at the time...) Might be a fully masked and gloved event LOL!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Look to history for your answer.

In these modern days of medicine we have been lulled into false security, after all if anything happens drugs can fix it! Right?

In the old days baby and mother spent at least the first 6 weeks confined or limited in their social activity as much as possible, with other family members doing the connecting with the outside world, shopping, etc. I would say that 3 months is about right for most infants.. I think that people who put their infants in day care before this are nuts! Three months is about the cut off for what is called a situation called neo-natal sepsis, which all doctors are on the lookout in this time period for. Babies get it cause their immune system is not developed enough to stand up to more common germs. It can be a killer. Not real common but it does happen enough to be on the minds of docs.

Many more babies use to die in this time period in the old days. Now that does not mean that less babies get sick. They still get sick...but now they go to the hospital for their first round of medical assault.

Actually sepsis that occurs after the first week or so is called late onset sepsis and the cut off is generally 90 days.

At this point the flu I do not this is a major concern but I was in contact with a family recently where 4 of their seven kids got strep. The infant with a trach ended up in the hospital with pneumonia related to strep....so the flu is not the only thing out there, and really, many other things are much more likely.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Morel, you are doing the right thing. Not because of the swine flu thingy....but just using common sense! I've never felt right about folks bringing newborns to work and to church to "show them off" and passing them from person to person.

Too much, too soon! Let the family whine...this is your's and little mommy's time to bond, enjoy, and get adjusted to this new angel in your home.

Tell them your "consultant" nurse says, "Not right now...." ;)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Haha I will tell them just that Bee:>)
Thanks everyone for the support, I was starting to feel like they thought I was just a control freak, which I am not, but I do defend to the limit when I have to:>)
And it makes so much sense what you had to say Mackay, thanks!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
If and when people do come to visit or the baby gets taken out do not let people hold her while she is still little and pass her around from person to person...it really does upset a baby. It just upsets their sense of peace and makes them fussy. They may not be fussy right then but you find that they are fussy later that night or even the next day.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
If and when people do come to visit or the baby gets taken out do not let people hold her while she is still little and pass her around from person to person...it really does upset a baby. It just upsets their sense of peace and makes them fussy. They may not be fussy right then but you find that they are fussy later that night or even the next day.
Oh I remember that all too well from when mine were little!