Aidenbaby's Anti-Suburban Sprawl

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our lot is approximately 60 feet by 100 feet. The backyard is 60 feet by 27 feet. I'm not sure what the front yard is but I have the lion's share for a garden bed. I'm trying to slowly but sure get rid of all grass. I'm allergic to it and DH likes to think that he'll mow it but never actually does. We're in Colorado and it is hot and insatiably dry in summer with useless afternoon monsoons. Okay, maybe useless is a little harsh but sometimes it only feels like just enough to perk the grass up before it dries out again. I'm planning on posting a couple of pictures later. As far as self-sufficiency, I have (illegal) chickens and I'm working on getting my veggies in the ground. I have a daycare so getting anything done is a miracle in and of itself. This year, I planted 4 native plums (2 of which may not survive), 1 red maple and 2 downy serviceberry trees. I've read that serviceberries taste similar to blueberries and are easier to grow. I also have a pear tree in the front yard but with no others nearby, I am not expecting any fruit.

Today, I mulched the bed where the raspberries (Heritage and Anne), strawberries and sunflowers are. I should have done so earlier but wanted to give the sunflowers a chance to sprout first. HUGE MISTAKE as now everyone is trying to call it quits. This group of berries are planted on the outside of the chicken run. I, also, cleaned out the miscellaneous stuff from the run and got 4 small bucket-fulls of compost/chicken manure/dried grass. I put 1 around each of the red maple and serviceberries and the first bucket went to the compost pile.

My compost pile is ENORMOUS. I have my neighbor drop his grass clipping over the fence into it and also anything the chickens don't/won't eat (banana peels) goes into it. It has the pine shavings from previous coop cleanouts in it along with God only know what else. I feel like I'm fumbling and failing at just about everything. Good news is that I am learning. I learned last year that orange peels will kill redworms (good bye worm composting).

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
:welcome

Good to know that orange peel kills redworms. I have a worm bin and wasn't aware of it.

I won't say anything about you harboring illegals. :duc

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!!! :) If it helps at all...we all feel like we are fumbling and failing sometimes at this whole SS thing. Seems like I make a new mistake every day and feel kind of stupid for not thinking of the solution or for having read up on the subject. :rolleyes:

I put my seedlings out in the sunshine too soon and got sun scald on them....I knew better but just was not really using all 6 cylinders at the time the thought raced through the wide open spaces in my mind, if ya know what I mean! :p

Its the learning that is the fun part, I think! Can't wait to hear more about your urban SS! :thumbsup

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Welcome!!! Great to know about the orange peels and red worms is there anything else that will kill red worms? I am getting some this weekend.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yay chickens! It's amazing to think that you have to be illegal to have fresh eggs! I mean, honestly. The town I grew up in allowed chickens, even in it's "downtown." Tourists thought it was funny. :)

I know what you mean about feeling like you're failing. You're not! People on here have wonderful ideas.

:welcome

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome We all feel like we are failing some days more than others. Just keep trying you'll be fine :) Plus there's lots of good people here with lots of good advice and experience.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hey, I like the title of your journal!

Sometimes you have to "fail" in order to learn. At least that is how most of us learn, I think.

Woohoo to illegal chickens!!!!!!!!!!! :weee

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi and it sounds you are really getting some yummy fruit and berries in your yard. We all learn as we go, welcome to the forum!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome all.

I think the only things "forbidden" from the worms are the citrus family, dairy and meats. Someone feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, though. As I said, mine died. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of getting coffee grounds from starbucks to add to the compost pile. From what I understand, you can have as much as you want and it is free.

DH called me this afternoon and was asking what I wanted to get finish this weekend. I told him that the fencing for the tomatoes, peppers and potatoes needed to go up so I could actually put them in the ground. I'm also thinking about taking my leftover chicken wire (a whole roll about 25 feet) and putting it up along our fence so that I can grow some of the beans and peas along it. I also thought ahead and saved the extra 3" by 2" wire from building the run to use for the same purpose. I'm trying to be as thrify as possible.

Edit for grammar.