Ain't this forum hoppin'? AND....should we have a JOURNAL category?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I am simply amazed at the new growth we've been getting of late....and very pleased! It was kind of slow there for awhile and we were getting a little stagnate, but the new folks and topics are great!

Welcome all y'all! :D

I was on a forum once that had a Blog category where folks kept a running blog about their lives and the things they were doing....then they would have a Blog of the Month thingy. It was cool because we could just ramble on about our endeavors and people knew what it was all about and could choose to visit or not. I know the "Me and My SS Family" category is almost the same but its not quite the same as having a running Blog that you can add to...sort of like an SS diary where you can post pics and random thoughts.

Anyone ever heard of this? :) Does this sound appealing, or is the Me and My category sufficient, ya think?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I like the idea of blogging.

My family has a private site where we can all chat and stuff. One of the sections on the forums is "Family Blogs" and we each post there on our own thread. To keep other family members from clogging up our blog threads, there is one sticky thread titled "Comments to Blogs" where other family members can post responses to what they read in our blogs.

I must confess, I am finding myself coming here more than BYC lately!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh, definitely!! I got bored with BYC a while back and find this forum a better fit.

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess I'm another one who's here a lot more than BYC too. I just can't keep up with the pace over there. Plus everyone here on SS is so much more, well, you know.

Not dissin' on BYC though. Shoot, it helped me a TON when I was starting out with my chickens.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I still like byc, nd for chicken stuff,it's the best. I find it a bit too fast (so many ppl), and basically, life revolving around chickens.

This forum, is about life in general-- at least the way we live it. It "fits" better.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Ohhh~tay....LOL

I LOOOOVE my animals! I have nearly every chicken named! You should meet Faith, Hope, and Charity, my three Light Brahma girls, and their boytoy, Levi (short for Leviticus). :D They live in a nice luxurious coop built completely out of recyled lumber. Personal airconditioning consisting of two rough cut winders with chicken wire tacked over them for air flow :lol:

Sorry, Beekissed, couldn't resist!

I will confess, I put a lot of time and effort into my poultry, but they are a means of livlihood for my family. Yes, we have a few of the 100 chickens that we have made into pets, and I really have named most of them (ok the roosters, not all of the hens! Those buff opringtons and speckled sussex all look the same to me, so they're named CHickens LOL)

Now, I don't believe in putting any animal before people ever and it makes me sick watching *make a donation to the rescue of choice for a rescued dog, so he won't go hungry...just a dollar a day can feed a dog...UM EXCUSE ME! There are AMERICAN (or whatever country you live in) children starving! Let's feed them first! Give the dogs the leftovers!!

*No offense intended to any dog lovers or rescue groups, but a little perspective please!

*steps of pedastool zips mouth shut*

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Oh, definitely!! I got bored with BYC a while back and find this forum a better fit. I will tell you that all the extreme animal lovers really started to stick in my craw over there!

And just how many times can you read a thread on My Dog Killed My Chickens, or Neighbor's Dog Killed My Chickens or What Breed is this? Or, even, look at the pristine, luxurious coop that $2000 can buy for my 4 pampered, air-conditioned, diapered, saddled chickens that I can't stop hugging and loving on to the exclusion of the human race!
Would you like some Peta bread with that? :/

Sorry :rolleyes: but that site brings home to me just how many people out there waste time, money and love on animals and have no compassion for their fellow man. It's always upset me and makes me feel like I'm visiting another planet where animals rule and we are their servants. :p
Oh Beekissed I sooo agree! Love the way you can rant about it:>) I used to post sometimes just to stir the pot. Can't believe how far some people will go to save a chicken that should have been culled along time ago! THAT is what go me the most...some of it was just plain cruelty...put the thing out of it's misery for goodness sakes!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think it fits better because we can talk about just anything, even if not related to SS, and it doesn't get shut down by other forum members being rude or sarcastic just for the fun of it.

One part of being SS, I think, is learning to rely on others for barter, ideas and companionship while trying to become independent of the rat race. Talking about everyday life is one way of developing those ties, no matter how fragile or temporary. I think some folks have come to believe that SS means "SS of everything" and, unless you become a hermit in a cave, this just doesn't work!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I like it over here because I made friends! :D

Latest posts