AL - Recording baby steps: Newest Addition

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm AL - (Aunt Lori)- to those who are my heart and soul ( 1 niece 20yrs old, 3 nephews 12-18yrs). I don't even remember how "AL" came about, but that is what they call me now :lol: For the sake of understanding me, I refer to them as "my" kids ;)

01. Name? Lori
02. Gender? Female
03. Disneyworld or Disneyland? WORLD (I'm in Florida)
04. What is your favorite color? Green
05. What is your favorite kind of gum? no idea
06. How much do you weigh? hahahahaha as if
07. How tall are you? 5'6"
08. Can you swim? Like a fish (or manatee)
09. Do you like to swim? LOVE it
10. Living arrangement? on my own

11. What's on your mouse pad? mouse
12. Favorite board game? umm.. card game - spades
13. Favorite magazine? Equus
14. Favorite Actor? Thomas Gibson, Mark Harmon,
15. Favorite Actress? ......
16. Do you have an accent? no, but those North of Alabama do
17. Favorite smells? fresh bread, horses, puppy breath, Gardenias
18. Least favorite smells? bad ones
19. Favorite sound? waves, rivers, wind in the trees, "my" kids laughing
20. Do you prefer pools or oceans? pools (shhh)

21. Do you watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer? uh, no
22. Pencil or pen? pen
23. Who's better - boys or girls? ??
24. Would you like to own a motorcycle? I DO own one - Honda magna 750
25. Do you sing in the shower? much to the chagrin of my pets
26. Who's the best looking Disney character? not sure I would know
27. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? going back to sleep
28. How many rings before you answer the phone? I try not to
29. How do you want to die? quick and painless
30. Have you ever called a 900 number? nope

31. Gold or silver? don't really care, gold I guess
32. Would you ever go bungee-jumping? I HAVE - South Dakota, 1992 WOOO yeah!
33. Do you like dressing up? don't mind it since my version of "dressing up" is a polo and new tennis shoes
34. Would you rather be short or tall? don't care
35. Do you enjoy reading? Yep!
36. What book are you reading now? "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not" - Wayne Jacobsen and "Photographing Dogs"
37. Favorite books? fiction, photography, Christian
38. What was the last movie you saw? one I didn't want to see
39. Favorite movies? Shrek (the 1st), Marley and Me, The Fox and The Hound, Wizard of Oz (yes, I am an immature move watcher)
40. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? nope - 2 cats and a 110lb Lab

41. What is your sign? Leo
42. What are your personality traits? umm.. I think I am a nice person. Very non-confrontational. Giving *shrug*
43. What's your biggest fear? seeing people I love hurt or sad
44. Would you ever have cosmetic surgery? LOL no hope
45. Future child's name? NA
46. Favorite foods? steak and seafood, new love is sushi
47. Chocolate or vanilla? Chocolate
48. Do you like to drive fast? I always seem to
49. Storms - cool or scary? VERY Cool. I sat out on my parents back porch throughout Hurricane Ivan (and Dennis)
50. Do you like to dance? nah

51. Do you do drugs? no way
52. Do you smoke? blech no
53. What do you think of people who smoke? to each their own
54. Do you drink? liquid...
55. Favorite drink?lots of water and when I get crazy some root beer
56. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other? Yep... have lots of friends that are guys and absolutely no interest shared between us
57. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? of course
58. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? rehab'ing kids w/ horses and dogs
59. What's your "type"? is that like favorite font?
60. Do you bite your nails? no

61. Any siblings? adopted brother and adopted sister - I am a miracle, not a mistake :D
62. What movies have you cried in? Ol' Yeller, Marley and Me, Return to Snowy River
63. Do you believe in God? Absolutely - but we have our "tiffs" from time to time
64. Did you ever cry over a guy/girl? unfortunately, yes
65. Have you ever stolen anything? in 5th grade - glittery / colored pencils; went back as a high school junior and paid for them; they laughed at me
66. Do you procrastinate? get back to me on that
67. Do you believe in fate? not sure
68. Who's your favorite Sesame Street character? hate it
69. Do you organize your CD's? in a pile
70. What is your favorite kind of music? nothing heavy

71. What are your favorite bands/artists? no idea, nephews loaded my ipod for me
72. What was the last CD you got? see 71
73. MTV or VH1? I'm one of the original "I want my MTV" folks
74. Who do you admire the most? one of my male friends - very much a father figure to me, since my own sucked
75. Internet Boyfriends and Girlfriends? nope
76. Are you single? yep
77. Favorite TV show? Criminal Minds and NCIS
78. Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads? don't care
79. Glasses or contacts? me? neither
80. What color are your eyes? green

81. What is your natural hair color? brown
82. But what color is it now? brown... and grey
83. Have you ever been in love? yeah
84. Any pets? 3 dogs, 8 cats, 16 chickens, 1 horse and foster horse
85. Good, decent, or poor grades? eh... depended on what drama I had going on at the time
86. Is the glass half empty or half full? both
87. Do you type with your fingers on the right keys? yep
88. What's under your bed? the boogey man's skeleton - dust bunnies got 'im
89. What is your favorite number? 13
90. Favorite sport to watch? My nephews baseball teams

I live in a mobile home on an acre of land my parents gave to me. Because my barn is on their land we just left everything fenced as one large 3.8 acre lot. I have a privacy fenced backyard with my chickenyard inside of that. Behind my backyard I planted a 40' x 60' garden in the spring. I had great luck with peas, peppers, mustard greens and zucchini..... no luck at all with tomatos, watermelons or eggplants.

I am among those who just can't bring themselves to process my own chickens, etc . It isn't that I don't believe in killing for food - I just can't do it myself (except fishing! Woo!).

have mercy, I am sick of hearing about MYSELF after this... I'll try to remember to come back later :rolleyes:

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I am amazed that all of you newcomers tackle this list. I never even tried.

gina
Yeah, it's kind of like branding "noobie" on my forehead, but I figure it is the easiest way to get the boring details out LOL

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know how you all do it. I can't even read that list without my eyes crossing. Anyway AL, welcome. Jump on this crazy ride and grab hold.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Welcome AL, nice to have you with us.

So I didn't read ALL of that monster list, just skimmed thru :hide

Do your neice and nephews live close by or with you? You must have a great relationship if you refer to them as your kids :)

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks

My niece and oldest nephew live in Texas, have since they were 10 &12 years old. They had lived next door to us for several years prior to that. My younger nephews J - 15 and T- 12, live in town with my sister and BIL.

So yesterday after it cooled off a little bit I went out and did some work:
- cleaned the chicken house, changed the nest box bedding, gathered eggs, fresh food / water
- fed and watered the horses, cleaned the stalls, worked with Buddy (17mth old foster gelding) and bathed Skye (28yr old mare with some health issues)

After I mowed my spring pea patch everyone convinced me it was too hot to replant then ( upper 90's w/ heat index around 110=116), so I just left it. My peas came up on their own - no fertilizer, no compost, no watering - so I have picked a 3 gallon bucket of mixed pinkeye purple hulls and crowder peas. Probably have another 2 gal bucket or so to pick this week when they are filled out.

I have a late summer garden. On Fri 9/10, I planted 4 rows of blackeye peas (+ broadcast some), 12 mounds of yellow squash, and 3 rows of mustard greens. Some indications are that I waited too late, my dad said his dad used to plant on labor day. *shrug* so we'll see.

I am averaging 5 eggs a day from my chickens. I know my 2 EEs aren't laying (unless they are laying cream or brown eggs ) and I dont' think my JG's are. In fact, I am now questioning the "runt" is really a JG.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Welcome! Another horse person, here, with 3 retirees, and a handfull of younger ones.

I always read the lists- I even filled one out myself. :D

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
valmom said:
Welcome! Another horse person, here, with 3 retirees, and a handfull of younger ones.

I always read the lists- I even filled one out myself. :D
LOL thanks! Some of the questions are fun.... others.. eh ;)

So you have young horses? I would definitely like any input you may have on teaching manners!
The youngest horse I have dealt with prior to Buddy was my old mare - she was 6 when I got her and had spent her life at John Lyon's seminars,e tc!! AND that was 22 years ago lol.

I do a lot better with the "oldies".... now I only have old Skye from my original horses but I had a 31yr old gelding that I lost to colic about 10yrs ago, a 30yr old mare I lost to a brain disease (the vet guesses) the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year.
I fostered a 30yr old mare for a couple of months til they found her a "retirement home", and I have had a couple of horses in their teens. 17mths old? really? lol