AL - Recording baby steps: Newest Addition

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I actually took Titan (the new horse) to the state forest for the first time today. He was a crackhead instead of a dead head lol. He wasn't spooky or crazy, just enough attitude to be annoying. It would have been fine except there were about 75 other riders there doing an endurance ride, so Rio had to stay on a leash. Since Rio was stuck with us and couldn't move fast enough, there wasn't much I could do discipline wise at first --- but once we got out away from everyone I dropped the leash and Titan and I had a little Sunday School meeting :) It was all good after that1

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Glad you are enjoying your new horse. Sounds like you got a good one. There is always that Sunday School meeting with any new person or animal. Everyone has to learn what to expect from everyone else. Also sounds like you have a good start on your garden.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:lol:

He was just testing the water to see what he could get away with with the New rider. Sounds like you two are going to become a team before you know it. :D

Sounds like you had a wonderful day. It has been forever since I have had the opportunity to trail ride. I miss it.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I stay crazy busy. crazy mostly.

Still working late evenings with the job - 3p-1a or so. Head to my parent's house to help my still bedridden mom, feed my horses (actually do this first, since Buddy takes an hour to eat his grain!), tend to my rabbits, gather eggs, let Buddy out of his stall. Bed around 230. Back to my parent's house around 9, feed the horses, let Buddy out, tend the chickens and rabbits.... rinse repeat

I have a little bit of garden in. Have pea and corn yet to plant, but can't seem to get motivated, and it is going to be too late soon. I have pulled lots of radishes for my dad, took up a bunch of mustard greens, and yesterday picked my first 2gal bucket of english peas. Tomatoes are coming in, squash and zuke have blossoms. Never did plant cucumbers. I am a garden slacker.

Chicken yard is 2yrs old and showing some breakdown at one of the raggedy gates I built myself. I need to work on it but I don't know when that may become a reality.

I work out with a personal trainer at the gym 2x a week for an hour each session. She kicks my hindend and hands it to me lol.
At least once a month, sometimes twice (like this month and May) I walk / jog a 5k. My goal is to jog the whole distance in May.

Also once a week I take Rio to a group training class. The first one was just because my friend wanted another big dog there with her Great Dane pup (140lbs). The one starting next week is to help out a friend who has started her own dog training business. She is actually the one who trained Rio at all of his classes he took, so I am excited to work with her again.

Sometimes I actually have time to work the horses.
End of March I took Titan and Buddy on a fundraiser trail ride for the equine rescue. My 16yr old nephew rode Titan so that left me on little Buddy.... whom I had just picked up from the trainer being broke to ride! It was a 4hr ride with 10 obstacles. My novice nephew and Titan did great! I had given J about a 5 minute riding lesson before the ride started and he was navigating obstacles like a pro.
Buddy was amazing! He is such a clever little horse. Obstacles were things like ringing bells that were hanging from a tree, walking through one of those turtle sand boxes, walking over a tarp that was laid between 2 trees that had pool noodles sticking out like low branches, rubbing down your horse with a lariat, stepping over jumps, etc. It was crazy and Buddy took it all in stride. My nephew won me a hay bag, and Buddy and I won a grooming tote box! Coolness.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I know it's great to have a full life but there is something to be said for rest also!!!!! I'm glad things are going well on all fronts!!!!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Was wondering if this was even still here.......
I am still insanely busy and still a garden slacker. Still haven't fixed the raggedy chicken yard gate, and now my new dog (as of late April) has torn out the bottom of the fence in several places (egg sucker). My chickens are going on 4yrs old, molting and looking pathetic. I need to get some chicks, but not before I get the pen fixed to hold them.
Had a hen the horse stepped on and broke both of her legs... she gets around with a limp now, after 6wks of (free) visits to the vet for splints and bandage changes (one break was compound). She is a sweet little thing.
Still have all 3 horses - even my almost 31yr old mare. She had a pretty good summer, even with her heaves. Titan - the 8yr old gelding, is doing great and Buddy, the coming4yr old gelding is mischievous as always.
3 rabbits... wonder why I ever bought them, but still tending to them spending money on them. They are coming 2 in April.
My old neighbor (about 91 or so) is putting up a fence to get goats. If I ever get time to go help him he said I can put a goat in with his (he is putting up the fence from his little electric scooter!).

No garden... no immediate plans or hope for a garden. Neighbor said he would use his tractor and plow to break up the ground for me since it is ridiculously overgrown. Hopefully I can take him up on it sooner rather than later j- I think a garden will probably come in handy in the coming months.

I have pear tree, peach tree, plum trees, apple trees and persimmon trees. Pumpkin and berries put in the freezer - peas, field peas, sweet corn put away.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering where you were. Glad to see you on here.

And, I know what it's like to be insanely busy! I think most of us on here rarely slow down!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks!
I have been trying to get back into the swing of SS things.... with my mom being bedridden / dependent for care, and my dad pushing 79yrs old, then me working 50-60hrs a week, training in the gym 5 hours a week and doing my own training on the weekends.... I just don't have much much time or energy.
I did decide to go ahead and start planning a garden. I found a big bag of seeds, no idea what they are but I'll sit and go through them ,sort them the best I can and plan on fixing a "mystery" garden in the spring. Also will get some seeds for cool weather plantings.
I ended up ordering 15 chicks from Ideal... assorted heavies and a few Black Australorps... my girls are coming 4yrs old and slowing down some. If I ever beat the dang egg-sucking dog to them, I think I am going to try my hand at incubating some eggs again (last time I ended up with a ton of roos).
I have my 3 buck rabbits and may look into getting a mutt doe or 2. I figure if I am going to feed them, they can be available for meat production if I need them.

Didn't catch my old neighbor today, hopefully I can get up with him tomorrow. It would be AWESOME if I could get his fence up on Saturday and go ahead and have my dairy goats there!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have a lasso if you want to borrow it to catch your neighbor. :hide