AL - Recording baby steps: Newest Addition

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I want to process my own birds... and I would dearly love to get a cow to breed for milk and maybe a butchering steer. I just can't do it. Yet.
(Growing up we raised for meat, my folks had us name them "Hamburger" "Tbone" LOL. One time we were eating homegrown burgers and everytime someone would take a bite, one of the cows out back would bellow. lol )
that is hilarious! well sometimes funny things happen! a couple people have asked me about butchering.. so i did this:

http://adventuresinthegoodland.blogspot.com/2010/09/meat-mutts-and-rooster-day-tips.html

it shouldnt be "too farm-y" for you and not too graphic. just some thoughts.

and really - everyone has their limits so dont feel bad. you might be able to find an older farmer who would mentor you so its not so stressful. and you can check around for somewhere that dresses poultry.

:)

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
a good read! I always enjoy your journal and your blog!
Basically my problem isn't the blood and guts - I dont' have a problem with fish or deer... it is butchering something I raised and that sat on my lap lol. I could kill one that was suffering or if my family was hungry, but we aren't there - yet.
My mom processed her own chickens a few times, but she refuses to help me because she says she doesn't want fresh chicken bad enough to pluck them. :rolleyes: . My dad would be more than willing to do the deed... it is funny, he has really gotten into this stuff. He was raised on a little 9 acre farm - butchered their own hogs and chickens. Had a fabulous garden (that provided venison ;) ). I remember asking my grandma what that big black pot on the fire was for... she made her own hog head cheese, etc.
He always said he would never be a farmer, but he sure does enjoy coming up and playing in the dirt!

So today I got my first green egg! Yay! It is just a little thing, looks funny in the carton with all of those dark brown and cream colored big 'uns. A total of EIGHT eggs today... go girls!

My friend that I gave a dozen eggs to said some of them had a blood spot. I was able to explain it to her, but maybe I should wait until everyone is established laying before I try to sell? Doesn't the bloodspot usually go away after their first few and then not start back until they are old?

I have a couple of 'bites" from people interested in adopting Buddy, and I am backpeddling bad now. I am thinking when he is old enough to start really breaking to ride I could send him to a trainer, and by the time all of that has been accomplished, I could have lost enough weight to not feel guilty riding him. Technically I guess I could ride him at my current tonnage, but I always feel guilty. So that is a decision I have to consider - quickly.

We are going to plant another satsuma tree (citrus). Ours has always had a ton of fruit, but this year they were about the size of ping pong balls and every single one of them dropped off. :idunno . Same thing happened to the fig tree. I dont' know if it was the freeze we had (13 days below freezing - we thought it was the end of the world ;) ) or if I have soil issues. Need to take some soil up and get it tested. You would think that would be easy to remember since the extension office is a half mile from my front door.

When feeding the horses today I saw a hawk of some sort chasing down birds. It didn't look like a red tailed, not sure what it was.
It was kind of cool seeing him strike... but also kind of scary since my chickens free range. They do have lots of shelter so I hope for the best :fl

Still no rain in the 10 day forecast, temps in the 90s during the day and 70s at night. I have been watering the dust bowl so I do see some green breaking ground, but it is very random. Not sure what to expect from this garden.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have temporarily taken Buddy off of the adoptable list. I am debating. I'll talk to my farrier tomorrow, and when Dr W comes out to do vaccinations next month I will ask some "educated guess" questions about what size he thinks we may be looking at for Buddy. If he thinks he will be 15hh or more I will keep him.

I did go ahead and order some John Lyons info - a book and a DVD. I figure even if I don't keep Buddy, I need to be better versed in working with youngsters if i am going to continue fostering.

This weekend cousin S is coming. He keeps saying he is going to bring me a heifer calf. :D I wish!
Even though they won't bring one with them, he did offer to sell me one at reduced price but he only offered to take 10cents / lb off if I buy one from him ... and that is not even gas money to go get it! (He raises Angus cattle about 5hrs from me). He offered to give me a steer if I could get my nephew to show it at the fair and then we would split the $ :lol: :gig :lol: my nephew... with a steer.... :lol::gig :lol:

So at this point I am at a standstill on my SS animals.... chickens. A couple of good dogs I guess count? I don't think my 28yr old mare would serve me well if the mutant zombie bikers come. Buddy could be broke to plow :lol: :rolleyes: Since I share property with my folks they nixed teh idea of milk goats or pigs (I think I could butcher a pig OFG!!!)

So lots of fishing, hunting, gardening and fruit / berries. hmmm

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
John Lyons will always remain my favorite guru. :D

His book Lyons on Horses is very very good.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have actually never read / watched any of his stuff. Even when I was active in horse circles, all I did was ride.
But the guy I bought my mare from was totally into John Lyons and the various horsemanship seminars. He took my mare to tons of them - thus when I bought her she became known as a push-button horse, or a "quarter horse - put a quarter in her and she goes". She definitely was / is not a deadhead, but the sweetest most forgiving horse ever. She would carry a toddler like a package of fine china, or carry me on a whirlwind gallop through woods thick with deer without ever "boogering" at them. So I figure if her training was from John Lyons, that is where I want to start!

ETA - I have, however, been invited to a Parelli workshop next month. I won't take Buddy, I'll just go watch. Should be interesting.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't slowed down enough to accomplish anything today so far. How wrong is that? Too busy to accomplish anything.

Anyway, I talked to the foster coordinator and we put Buddy back on the list. I think he is just going to be too small. Unfortunately, they get tons of horses in for me to choose from when I am in more of a position to own another one. I don't think my sweet Skye is going to make another Florida summer, so I will give her my time for these days.

Farrier came out and trimmed both the horses, he will start coming out every 6 weeks instead of 8 since I have the county horse stuff going on. He gave me some tips with buddy and I showed him how I have handled some of the issues (nipping / kicking / pushing) and he gave me some great tips (ie - hula hoop on the ground is my space, Buddy comes in he gets the same reaction from me he would get from Skye - a "screamed" warning and then sting his heiney with a crop or lunge whip. ) Farrier said to put them both in the small pen and just sit and watch one day - that Skye will teach me all I need to know about handling youngsters. Cool.

Gotta pick peas before they dry completely out - no rain in 5 weeks as of tomorrow. My new patch is coming up, one plant here, one there. Squash are breaking ground pretty well. Now if I can keep the thundering herd of dorkdogs out ... guess I'll have to string more electric wire.

100lbs of feed and couple bales of hay are waiting on me.... then at 4 headed for a truckload of wood. All you can haul oak, cut to 24in for $20.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
watch that heat, baby! yikes! no rain in 5 weeks!?!? yowza....

happy friday!
:)

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lady came to look at Buddy... wasted an hour of my time talking about her "Foundation bred quarter horse" and her trip to Nationals for Western Pleasure... and about having someone give her horse alcohol injections in her horse's tail vertebrae to make it stay down /lay flat for shows!!!!! WHAT THE (*)&%^?!!>!?! There was no way in Hades she was taking Buddy anywhere. I thanked her for her time and sent her on her way.

SeriouslY?!??!?!?

it clouded up, thundered and moved on today .... it did rain where I was getting the wood (of course) but only a light drizzle, and that was waaaay across town.
This guy had gone to where they cleared out a subdivision (yet another one). He had several truckloads of oak wood.... most of it cut, some of it split. He said his eyes were way bigger than his need. I was happy to relieve him of his burden! Full truck bed full of cut wood now stacked out in the lean-to.
On the way home I witnessed a horrible car accident.... SUV vs little 4 door car - truck Tboned them going so fast the truck bounced off and slammed into the power pole (next to me) - I saw the guy bouncing in the cab. The car was thrown probably 30-50 yrds into a tire rack in front of a tire sales store. Before the truck hit them, I saw the face of the girl sitting in the car's passenger seat... and I saw it as the truck hit her door......

Still start shaking when I think of it. They had to have both run yellow / red lights, because before they came to a stop my light was green.

Lori's thought of the day - be safe, buckle up and red means stop!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
have out of town company coming in today. My cousin and his wife - I adore them both!
So I came down to my folks house and my mom is making a blackberry cobbler AND a peach cobbler. We will be having a fish fry with catfish that my nephews and I caught, and some of my pinkeye peas. No idea what else, but that's the stuff from my sweat and work. Coolness

Buddy has 2 cuts on his hind leg, up on the thigh. Not sure what he could have gotten into? It almost looks like a bite but none of my dogs have been around him.

Picked that last of my accidental pea patch... lots of them are drying out.

A friend of mine owns a plant nursery and she has "purple passion fruit vine" at the farmer's market today. I may have to run downtown for a few minutes to check it out! I still want to get some pixie gardenias from her to plant in the front yard... no point planting anything in the backyard with the chickens there :rolleyes:

Have a massive headache and I am ready to call it a day.