milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new here. I've bounced around the country but am now in Alabama. We're new to homesteading but not new to gardening. We just bought two acres and have pecan and black walnut trees, a fig tree, pear trees, an apple tree, wildly overgrown grape vines. Since October, we've added blueberry and blackberry bushes, a large garden, an herb garden, a peach tree, a lemon lime tree, an olive tree, a key lime tree, an orange lime tree, and 15 chickens. Future plans include rabbits, bees, strawberries, and possibly tilapia. Our new compost pile has already outgrown it's spot. My garden is totally overgrown with grass with a month of rain and it seems that no matter how busy I am, I am constantly behind... I'm learning and relearning as fast as possible. Thanks for the site. You had me with the chicken poop pictures! I'm glad to know soft and brown is normal. :)
We've been busy working on our new chicken run and planting trees. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone here.
Milkmansdaughter
IMG_20170727_151019.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! You've got a lot done in a short time. Your chicken coop is amazing.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks. It was originally a 35' x50' dog run so our Rottie pup could be outside. But she hated it sooo much that it was rarely used. Our pup recently passed away (unknown cause), so we repurposed the fenced in yard to give the chickens more space now that they're bigger. We started with 8 chickens and were given 7 more a few weeks ago. 4 haven't started laying yet, 3 of the new ones are about done laying. Our original 8 are giving us an average of 6 eggs a day. The run is 8' in the center. Guide wires keep the netting up and the frames solid. The extra height makes it easy to get in to clean up and to check eggs. We have a lot of hawks and eagles in the area so we don't usually let them out completely unless we're out in the yard working. The Orpingtons will follow me around the yard.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Welcome! I have the same problem with my to-do list. It keeps getting longer no matter how hard I work! Your garden and orchard list is impressive! Congrats!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
LOVE it when chickens have plenty of space! Looks like a great place to start a new compost bin, only this time the chickens would get to turn it and eat out of it.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :frow Your garden and trees sound wonderful and I love your chicken set-up. Sorry to hear about the loss of your pup :hugs

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Also love the chicken run. Sounds like you're busy! Sorry about your pup, losing dogs is awful.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi there! Welcome from Texas! Loved hearing about what you've got - and that's one impressive chicken run!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
howdy. I habe to admitt, I'm pretty jealous of all the trees. I hope to get some planted this fall