milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome! We're also hoping to plant more fruit trees in this fall hoping for good returns 3-4 years down the line... And we're thinking of maybe removing one or two pecan trees. They can be awfully finicky and have a habit of dropping large limbs just for the fun if it. I think I'd cry if a big green limb dropped on our new chicken run...

Also thank you to those of you who sympathized. Losing a good pup is a really tough thing. We did everything we could to turn things around including an $800+ vet bill, sub q fluids, syringe feedings... Now we're not quite ready for a new dog, but we're volunteering at the local shelter when we can.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The threat of large limbs dropping would make me remove them all! :eek: What trees are you thinking of adding?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
More fruit trees: at least 1 or 2 more apple, another peach, maybe another fig or maybe some cherry trees. We'll keep the pecan trees on the edge of the property but aren't going to fuss with them much. If it's a bonus year, great. If not, they're good for shade. We're going to remove the ones closer to the buildings and main activity areas. They need a lot of sun, need well drained soil, don't burn anything under them, not too wet, not too dry, drop limbs if they get too many leaves or nuts, and are really really tall. We can grow several fruit trees in the space and buy our pecans.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks @crealbilly. I finished netting the rest of the yard yesterday and separated the young roosters out this morning. I can get the wheelbarrow through the gates and there's a lot of headroom so it's easy to work in. I'll have to build the roosters a night roost today. (My husband would do it but he's out of town.)
IMG_20170819_090027.jpg