Alaskan's Life

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My hen, Ghost, was 7 I believe. She sat 2 nests last yr! 26 hatched...and she took great care of each batch. Just a treasure of a hen. However, at about 8-10 weeks she put them on their own🤣. She taught them where, how and when...in and out of coop. When she taught them to roost, done! She graduated them. 🤭

Have several broodies, that I keep for that, no matter their laying. One of my RIRs is a great setter/mom but, her eggs are small. I never let her set those...she's a lovely surrogate! :lol:

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beautiful! Any mushrooms you can eat or just to look at? I love to eat but am not at all confident in foraging for them
I like eating all of the mushrooms in the puffball category. Oddly though, I only saw maybe 2 this year. No idea why. :idunno

Also, my tiny morel patch didn't fruit (but it doesn't fruit every year... so no real surprise).

There are a bunch of "chicken of the woods" mushrooms around, but I am not fond of them. :idunno

So, LOTS of mushrooms this year, but not the ones I wanted! :lol:

As to learning to forage... maybe ask around. Sometimes they have foraging classes at a local park or historical society group....

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So... 2 nights back... I heard something..

I looked out, a black bear was crawling into the back of son's truck to get the trash we had put in there that day.... and run out of time to take to the dump.

Son was still awake... I told him... he is all "WHERE are the guns!!!" (They had been moved) then he was "is it legal? Is it in season now?? I CAN'T REMEMBER!!!!" I had no idea, and said so... so he said "Fine! With the airsoft then!" (To hurt, make him run off,but not wound) And I just said "son, son, remember the cost of replacing the back window of your truck!" (The way everything was setup, the back window of the truck would be the backstop of the shot). His response to that comment was funny because he was so incredibly deadpan and matter of fact "I won't miss"

I then remembered the marksmanship competitions he kept winning......

Anyway...

Lots of trash has been cleaned up... truck took a load to the dump... youngest reinforced our trash box (bear had broken into it).

It turns out we COULD have killed and eaten the bear, the season is open.... ah well.....

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pictures

Garage and barn
20221217_141410.jpg

Pond /overflow coop
20221217_141200.jpg

Cross at church
20221215_144610.jpg

Church
20221215_145308.jpg

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Love the sunrise one 🥰

Are you guys on the "almost always night" phase now? I can't remember 🤷

And, a lot less postings from you. :old are ya sleeping or just wound down with most of the kids gone????? We miss you. 😊
I dunno.... just feel like... what should i post about??

I am down to very few animals, just some chickens.. ...

Make me feel very city-esque...

What am I going to post about? Same view... lots of snow... blah...

I now just do church and paperwork.

Right now I am procrastinating ... I HATE starting the Tax season, and some of the church tax needs to be done by Monday.

So... due to procrastinating I have caught up on some of my ancestry research! Ha!

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:epyou need something to be doing/tending....

At least keep the pics coming -- then we know you're still alive :lol:. Soon there will be moose and birds to photo. Maybe you will grow a garden, or a couple potted plants this spring. 😁
Ah... I do always do some gardening...

And I have pot plants.

I had a horrid some kind of bug infestation this past summer... that is what I get, buying a few things from a green house instead of only growing from seed.

My jade plant still looks sad.

But my thyme plant is looking good. The dwarf mulberry is looking good again. Yes... i am trying to grow indoor mulberries!

Last edited:

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Few more photos from this winter...

View
20210306_165533.jpg

Kids working on a snow machine. The sticks poking out of the snow are... the tops of... the orchard gate... I think, garden is south of the orchard... under four or 5 feet of snow, all on left side of photo.

20210303_184336.jpg

My big coop
20210303_184309.jpg