Alice, My Very Special Pet

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Little Alice

I would like to tell you about Little Alice, our pet. She is a Geochelone sulcata or Spur Thigh Tortoise. They are native to Africa though she was hatched in the usa. We got her handed down from a very old friend. She had Alice for 5 years, now we have had her for almost 2 years. She is almost 50 pounds and could reach 100 to 200 pounds.

She is a wonderful little friend. We have learned to communicate in very special ways over these last few years. She knows “breakfast is here”, “wanna go outside”, “go nite nite”, “come play with the ball”.

So she has a little area in my kitchen, the hot tub room, a fenced in area at the back of our house and a special condo to play in. In the kitchen area there is a metal cabinet on wheels with special heat for her to sleep in. The floor is covered with wee wee pads and even has an extra layer of linoleum.
20161204_122455r.jpg

alice bed r.jpg

We have many animals outside and a few indoor pets but Little Alice is a very special pet. She marches to her own tune and does her own thing most of the time…. Once in a while she does what I would like her to do.

The first summer we had her we worried we were doing something wrong but we learned and followed her lead and all worked out. Winter came and we kept her in the small kitchen area. As Spring came she was beginning to scrap at our wall and want to go outside but we were afraid she would get sick. After it got warm enough she was allowed to be back out in the hot tub room and in her fenced in area outside. So as I learned I decided to keep her body conditioned to the natural temperatures, and even though she is a desert animal, she went out every day as fall came and right into winter. So now she loves to go out in the snow. She spends about 1 hour out there and then comes in to warm up in her little box in the kitchen.
20161005_125646r.jpg

20161204_112026r.jpg

She eats orchard grass that is in a dried bale that I blanch and cool for a second. I mix it with dandelion leaves, mustard greens and kale. For a treat she gets cactus pads and prickly pear fruit along with hibiscus flowers, rose of Sharon, and roses. She also gets a very large pellet and horse pellets that are made of orchid grass.
20150901_102234r.jpg

alice1r.jpg

cactus pads.jpg

Now she has learned to really realy love snow..
a1r.jpg

a2r.jpg

20170210_101747r.jpg

Now wasn't that fun???? Hope you enjoyed the story about Little Alice...She is a joy to have as a pet and friend.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What an unusual pet. I am surprised she likes the snow. Nice pics.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love her. As a kid we had what people around here call a box turtle. We would keep him in the house all summer taking him out every day. We turned him loose in the fall. He would come out every spring. He always stretched out his neck to have it rubbed. Such a great little critter. He had a hole drilled in the edge of his shell and some paint on his back (shell) when we first found her. He must have been someones pet at some time. We always fed him strawberries, lettuce, tomatoes, etc. from the garden. I would love for my kids to have one.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I love the snow pics :love Thank you for sharing this! I used to see loads of tortoises in South Africa, but none here and I miss them… They are such great animals.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What is so neat about Alice is that you listened to her and let her do what she wanted to do. She has a good home!

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@sumi That is very cool to be able to see them in their natural land. I don;t think you saw Alice types. They are from very north Africa.

@frustratedearthmother Alice loves loves the snow...
20170210_102008r.jpg

Sometimes I am not home all day and this is what I come home to....
20161005_071710r.jpg

This is her wee wee pads. She really tries to get outside when I am gone. She doesn't understand that I must be there for her to get out. It wouldn't be safe for her to be out there alone....she must stay in but doesn't want to....

@lcertuche Alice should only eat dried grasses. I give her all the extras because I feel I don't get the calcium into her body correctly. The last 2 years is showing that I am doing alright or her shell would be pyramiding more than it is. She was that way when I got her...

@baymule I listen and see all animals. They may not realize they are talking to but you can see what they need or want. I have been involved with animals for 40 years in the business world and I have always taught people to be objective and watch what their animal was telling you.....It works for me.... Yes she is happy, most of the time....LOL

Alice is a very cool pet......

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Fantastic pet. I have to see her some day in person. You must go through a ton of wee wee pads.