Alice, My Very Special Pet

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh yes, I just bought a batch on sale. That's the only way I do anything, large volume on sale. I picked up about 3000 on sale no shipping....That will last me 6 months. My dogs, Willow and Wisteria, also use wee wee pads.

facey.jpg

girls.jpg

They don't use as many as Alice but the do "compete" in the wee wee dept. Even if they just did something on it, if I change the pad they both run over and squeeze just a little bit out to show me what it's for.

As for Little Alice, I have learned to tape at random on the sides of each wee wee pad. When one or two get soiled I just cut the area away with scissors and place a now one over the hole and tape that. This is when they are all new and not taped yet.
20170121_082420r.jpg

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of work, but worth it for Alice. Too bad you can't fill her room with kitty litter; she might think it is indoor snow.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She would eat the kitty litter. Her favorite thing to do is eat snow....LOL

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So Little Alice is not an angel. You have to be devoted to your pets and over look some things....LOL... So since the first winter she had to spend all her time in half my kitchen, she was not really happy....By the end of winter and spring began she was trying to find anyway to get out of her kitchen. She wouldn't have gone far as it is a brick house. She did do all that damage with her front foot...hence..the name...spur thigh tortoise.

r.jpg

So can you see the hole she put in my kitchen corner wall????? I didn't complain to her and I did things to protect the walls this past winter but most would have ditched her on the first winter..... not me. I understood and did my research to find out just how cold she could take it and if she could have more freedom during our cold winters. With all the info I learned, she has been very happy going in and out during almost all the cold days during her second winter with is. I just make her stay in when I am not home or if it is hear 20 degrees out. Otherwise she is free to go out anytime I am awake.

Next year I would like to create a doggie door of sorts for one half of my sliding door and a real doggie door going out to her outside play area. I have a normal doggie door for, Willow and Wisteria, from the living room to the hot tub room. Little Alice can not fit in that door so it works. I really don't want her running around the living room without a wee wee pad...LOL YUK.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, I am a big believer in listening to animals. They will talk to you, but you have to listen.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Once I cut a tree down and near the top was a nest of baby squirrels. Not knowing what to do with them I put them in a box and my wife called one of her friends. She had me build a cage for them and she kept them in her house, fed them milk from a bottle.

They loved McDonald's french fries and she would buy them McDonald's french fries 2 or 3 times a week. When they got out of hand she let them go out back of her house. Those squirrels would still come sit on her shoulder when she would sit outside. The strangest pets I ever seen anyone have...

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I painted her condo so I could prepare it for winter. Until this year she only used it in summer. We will have heat and lights working and she may stay in there day times. I am sure she will still go into the greenhouse to her bed at night. If she doesn't I will have to move her in for safety. There is a door so no one will attack her but I just don't want her outside at night in our winters.

alice condo1.jpg

alice condo3.jpg

She really loves going up and spending time up there and coming down. Notice that it has linoleum on the floor up there.

So it took about a month for me to get the ramp primed and painted. It takes 2 of us to move that thing off the condo and on sawhorses. When we put it back Little Alice decided she really didn't want it there. Now she didn't realize she would not get up top if it weren't there. Within an hour I found this.

alice condo4.jpg

alice condo5.jpg

alice condo6.jpg

Now remember it takes 2 of us to move this ramp. Just look at what she did to it. She actually broke the top metal bracket. Sometimes you have to make them listen to you rather than the other way around.

alice ramp.jpg

We screwed the top in and but block under the ramp and staked it in so she couldn't dig into the wood or move it anymore...

She is allot of hard work but a joy to have. We love her so much.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW -- what a powerhouse! What does she weigh? Looks like she is maybe 14X14, shell size? She obviously has a nice life!!! You have gone "beyond" to make her a happy home.

What size will that type mature?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Alice is one lucky girl to have a mommy and daddy like ya'll!