treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the timely thread Bee.

We fixed up the ancient (not sure how old, could be as old as the barn) coop last year. Anyway, it's in really bad condition, and it took a lot of time but very little money to fix it up to a usable state. However, I don't think it'll do for another year (though I'm sure we can limp it along in need be) so we're now figuring out if we can build a new coop in the spring.

And that's not "cruddy" @frustratedearthmother , a lot of owners would love to free range but can't for all sorts or reasons. Also, at 9a you don't have a winter you have to be seriously concerned about the way others up north do.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep...I'd not likely care WHERE my birds roosted all winter if I lived that far down south. Though I do like them to think of the coop as home, merely so they will lay there the majority of the time.

Likely I'd only have a lean to style coop if I lived in 9a, just so they could get in out of the wind and rain if they wanted.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We fixed up the ancient (not sure how old, could be as old as the barn) coop last year. Anyway, it's in really bad condition, and it took a lot of time but very little money to fix it up to a usable state. However, I don't think it'll do for another year (though I'm sure we can limp it along in need be) so we're now figuring out if we can build a new coop in the spring.

TR, I LOVE old coops...gotta pic? Love that little piece of history in the US that are quickly disappearing, about as quickly as the old barns.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And my stupid pvc roof cant take an inch of wet snow. Rain and high wind are fine. That sucks. Back to the drawing board.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
And my stupid pvc roof cant take an inch of wet snow. Rain and high wind are fine. That sucks. Back to the drawing board.

Awwww, Hinotori! I'm sorry! It hurts to do a lot of work and it didn't pan out...been there a lot. Can you get cattle panels to work in your setup?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You've used a lot of cattle pannels yes? Will they support it well enough over 10 feet? They would be easy enough to attach to the fence panels.

Eta. I know you hoop the 16 foot panels. All the coops I've seen made with them are 8 foot across, not 10. But then I don't need to worry about it being tall enough since they will be attached to 6 foot tall fence.

Last edited:

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
TR, I LOVE old coops...gotta pic? Love that little piece of history in the US that are quickly disappearing, about as quickly as the old barns.

Sure: here's what it looked like when we moved in. Who knows how many repairs have been done over the many years.

IMG_0081 (2).jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sure: here's what it looked like when we moved in. Who knows how many repairs have been done over the many years.

View attachment 5256

It looks to be a pretty fair size, so that's all good. Is the roof still in good shape? Does it feel sturdy, even though it leans a little?

The last coop I had was ancient like that and it sort of leaned on the next building and that one leaned on the next, etc. Besides it leaning, though, it was sturdy as a rock and the roof and wood seemed in great shape. I used it as is, though I did open up some windows for more cross ventilation.

Latest posts