All-natural cold sore remedy? *ick warning*

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Now, I know this is going to sound really gross to most folks and it did to me when I first heard it...but, if you've ever suffered from a really big cold-sore that took forever to run its course, then you would understand why anyone would even try it! Painful and ugly!

I used to get them pretty badly in grade school and sometimes in my early twenties, but not since I found a "cure".

I had one on my usual place~right below my lip~ one day and an elderly lady noticed and asked me if I wanted to know something that would stop it before it started? Of course, being a nurse, I know that the only thing available for a cold sore is an anti-viral and, even then, they may or may not help.

She said.......are you ready? :p ........ when you first feel that tingle, or burning feeling, before the actual blisters appear, put some of your own ear wax on the spot! :sick

Well, the next time I felt one coming on~being the pioneer that I am~I tried it! :D

It worked. :th :weee

Thereafter, I used it to good effect each time. One day I didn't recognize the tingle, as it had been a long time between episodes. I looked in the mirror and found a blister forming on my lip and thought, "Darn it! Too late to use the ear wax thingy!" But, I tried it anyway. It worked!!!

After that, if I had left one too late and it actually developed into a sore, I used the ear wax anyway~and it would heal over in a couple of days!

Just a little tidbit of info to anyone who dares to try it and can get past the ick factor.... :D

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Thankfully I have never had a cold sore and I would not even have enough ear wax for this anyways my ears stay pretty clear.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Me too, so the supply is pretty skimpy when I need it the most! But just a little tiny bit does the trick!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
is that Sam Elliot?! omg where have I been? Sit down to watch tv with the hubby and see what you miss!

Ok, I admit, I don't find it all that gross. Especially if you don't have to put it ON your lip. (like where you could taste it.) I mean, it's already on the skin of your ear. What's the big deal if you move some a few inches around to your face? :D

Having said that, I have to stick a cotton swab dipped in alcohol into my ears twice a day every day or they itch so badly I honestly can't stand to be in the same room with myself.

But I would sure try that!

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea that story has an ick factor!
I am lucky, never had one. but EEEwwww...but if it works, then go for it. I am all for anything that works!! interesting and will pass that info on to others who get them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Morel, everyone gets ear wax! :lol: Its built in...you can't avoid it. Now, some get more than others, but everyone gets a little unless they have some weird genetic anomaly that yields no cerumen production. :D

If I need some...and all it takes is just enough that would fit on the head of a pin...I take the handle end of my tweezers and reach waaaayyyy back in there and swab the side of my canal. Don't go too far back.... ouch! :barnie

Ear wax is just an oily, waxy secretion called cerumen. Its no more dirty than the oily secretion of the skin pores on your face, the tears from your eyes, or the sweat from your brow. All these glands are designed to secret fluids/oils to move impurities out of the body. Cerumen is secreted by the ear to trap any impurities that may enter your ear canal...dead skin cells, hairs, pollutants, etc. If you've had sweat or tears on your lips, its the same concept.

It sounds icky, but in all reality, most of us have had far ickier things near our mouths! ;)

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Morel, everyone gets ear wax! :lol: Its built in...you can't avoid it. Now, some get more than others, but everyone gets a little unless they have some weird genetic anomaly that yields no cerumen production. :D

If I need some...and all it takes is just enough that would fit on the head of a pin...I take the handle end of my tweezers and reach waaaayyyy back in there and swab the side of my canal. Don't go too far back.... ouch! :barnie

Ear wax is just an oily, waxy secretion called cerumen. Its no more dirty than the oily secretion of the skin pores on your face, the tears from your eyes, or the sweat from your brow. All these glands are designed to secret fluids/oils to move impurities out of the body. Cerumen is secreted by the ear to trap any impurities that may enter your ear canal...dead skin cells, hairs, pollutants, etc. If you've had sweat or tears on your lips, its the same concept.

It sounds icky, but in all reality, most of us have had far ickier things near our mouths! ;)
Hey - this is great, Beekissed! I do ear-candling and there's all the foul earwax you could WANT in those things when I'm done. :lol: I could go commercial!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know if it would work if it were someone else's wax...and I don't want to try it out and see!!! :p Maybe the antibody properties in our own secretions has some effect on the virus?