All-natural cold sore remedy? *ick warning*

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is really gross-- I don't want anybody else's ear wax touching me.

Cassandra-- you must have something wrong with your ears. They are probably getting so itchy cause your skin is drying out from the alcohol! I heard an ear doctor on NPR one time say you are NEVER supposed to remove your earwax, and he never does it. It's supposed to be in there for a reason. Maybe you should try putting a dab of petroleum jelly in there.

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey - this is great, Beekissed! I do ear-candling and there's all the foul earwax you could WANT in those things when I'm done. :lol: I could go commercial!
I was teasing....

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Someone elses would be very gross! Like bee, I have gotten cold sores since I was a teen. Usually when greatly stressed or change of weather(going from beach weather to desert, low alt. to high, cool, to hot,etc). I don't get them as often now, but deffinitely will try this next time!

My oldest daughter had the curse of too much earwax production. She cleaned her ears often(I did when she was little, of course), I could clean them daily and get great gobs out. We had to take her to the doctor every few months to have them clean them out REAL good. She fought sooo much, but otherwise her hearing would get bad. Our DGD when we first got guardianship of he had her mother's problem, but after moving to the mts. she doesn't have any problems anymore! I don't know if it is the alt. or the abscence of pollutants or what.

Monica

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
Cassandra-- you must have something wrong with your ears. They are probably getting so itchy cause your skin is drying out from the alcohol! I heard an ear doctor on NPR one time say you are NEVER supposed to remove your earwax, and he never does it. It's supposed to be in there for a reason. Maybe you should try putting a dab of petroleum jelly in there.
Oh, long story... didn't mean to bore you with it, but I will. :lol:

Seven years or so ago I was taking some online classes. My computer was in a noisy part of the house so I started wearing headphones all the time, for several hours a day, listening to music while studying. That's when my ears started to itch.

About 4 years ago, it had gotten really bad, where it was driving me crazy. So I mentioned it to a doctor. He said, itchy ears was common among doctors, too, because they stick a stethescope in their ears all the time. But he wrote me a prescription for these cortisone ear drops that I only needed to use once a week. The tiny bottle was 30 dollars, but I made it last me about a year. LOL

It really worked for the itching, but it made bumps in my ears. Not like pimples or lesions, but knots under the skin. And my ear canal would be sore. So, I stopped using it and the itching came back.

I've tried various things in the mean time, what works the best is the alcohol on the cotton swab. That burned the first couple of weeks, but now it doesn't bother me at all.

Cassandra

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is funny.......Just two weeks ago I was thinkg to myself about how it has been years since I have had one. THEN, I bit my lip wrong and it started tingling. Yep, here comes the cold sore. It is gone now after it ran its course. But I will definitely try this Beekissed, thanks!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Don't they recommend L-Lysine supplements as a natural remedy for cold sores now?
Something about taking it only until the cold sore disappears so you don't run down your immunity.
If you eat too many foods like nuts and meat which contain L-Arginine it triggers the cold sore virus and the L-Lysine neutralizes the L-Arginine, eliminating the cold sore.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep, they recommend it and my mom has tried it and it didn't work for her. She has really big ones! And she is vegetarian, so meat isn't an issue. She has yet to try the ear wax thing and I don't know why, as she is usually very open minded to natural treatments. :/

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For a few years, I have been using Lysine ointment. It works well, it lessens the days by about half.
It's funny a few days after I read this, I startedfeeling the tell-tale tingling. I had just cleaned my ears the day before. I had a hard time getting some earwax, but got a tiny bit and rubbed it on. The tingeling stopped! I kept doing it and the cold sore didn't ever enlarge, it stayed very small and was gone in two days!! I still have a spot where you can see where it was, but it is gone!

Thanks sooo much Bee!! You are a lifesaver! I know my DH will thank you also as he hates to see those on my lips.

Monica

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That is soooo cool that someone would try it! See? I told you! :D I wouldn't try anything that icky if I hadn't been desparate myself.....I'm a nurse and, in some work places, you can't come to work with a cold sore on your lip/face. If you just have to come to work and can't afford to be off, lysine and Valtrex work too slow.

I always have trouble dredging up ear wax myself, as I'm not a real big producer and I use Q-tips every day, but its worth it if you can get just a dab.

Cknmom, thanks for trying it out.......and admitting to it! :lol: