All the info i can get about raising chickens for eggs

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think some of the people go beyond keeping chickens and into the hoarding.

I have a few birds that I'd keep as pets even if they never laid another egg. Three birds as pets isn't a big deal with the 46 we have right now. I want to get down to 30. That would leave me 22 layers. The silkies are outlaying everybody at the moment (6 eggs a week), but they are silkies and could go broody this afternoon.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I guess hoarding depends on what resources you have and how well you can take care of them though. To a person who only has enough chickens to lay enough eggs for themselves and their spouse, might think that having 50-60 birds is "hoarding", but our's do pretty well here. Very healthy birds, everyone helps take care of them, and they seem to be quite happy (so long as you don't try to pick up a duck, then they're very unhappy little beings, lol). Of course, we've got quite the outlet to "get rid" of excess birds. I used to breed pet rats, and had very good quality animals and great genetics, but, well, they didn't sell quickly enough and I was extremely limited on what I could breed because I didn't want 20 rats! Birds, on the other hand, can be eaten or sold at auction. Right now, the birds we have produce more eggs than we, as a four family unit, can consume. Does that phase me? Not in the least, I want more eggs! Of course, many will be incubated, and whatever we don't eat will be sold (actually, more like the other way around, whatever doesn't sell will be eaten). So, for my "needs", we have a good number of birds. Mostly because I'm hoping to sell on a pretty decent scale by spring. :) We do have four out there that I want to get rid of at auction, but when feed is free and you already have 50 others, four more isn't too big of a deal. That's somewhat why we still have three ameraucana roosters. I HAVE come to the conclusion though, that you want more than two roosters for that many hens, because the more you have, the better protection you have, lol.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We spend more on scratch than food certain times of the year. They eat about 2 bags of food a month for all of them if we aren't gone a lot. They'd much rather be out ranging and finding their own food. So between 20-30 bucks a month, usually lesser amount because I try and stock up at sales. The dogs cost me that much to feed.

We do sell eggs. If they are laying we get about $50 a month in egg money. That pays feed and bedding. I got replacements to late this year so we are low on eggs. We ran a cord out to the coop and put in a light a few days ago. Hopefully that will help some. Maybe get the pullets to start laying.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You can stretch that feed cost by fermenting those feeds. Really works and gives you feeds with built in probios. Also has the wonderful side effects of no smell to the poops and absolutely HUGE egg yolks after about 3 wks into feeding the FF. Most folks are reporting it lowered their overall feed costs by 1/3. That's pretty considerable.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Once my coop is re established, and the meaties are butchered. I will start fermenting feeds, I can't make enough now to do it right. So until slaughter I'm using plain old crumbles....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Please do as Beekissed suggested and go over to BYC. In addition to the old timers thread, study the Predator section. I found this site when I was just "thinking" about a couple of chickens several years ago. I read the predator section every night and learned from other's failures and misfortunes. Otherwise, I would have used chicken wire instead of hardware cloth and would have more than likely had a "predator" story of my own to tell. My coop for 2 hens was 8'x7' with a dirt floor, roost and nesting box. I was so proud. Then I added 6 sex link chicks. At capacity, I have been adding a 12'x8' coop hoop run for more room. I will buy more chicks and cull out the older hens for soup.

Just don't get in a hurry, read BYC and learn all you can. It is the best forum out there for chickens. :thumbsup

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have chainlink runs with mesh around the bottom of the pens that chicks live in. Predator problems have been when they were free ranging. That is when the neighbors dog got some. We've lost a few to hawks as well, but that is the price of letting them range. I don't blame the hawk for wanting to eat.

Predators and Pest is a great place to try and figure out what does get your birds and how to keep them away.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
but that is the price of letting them range.
I'd have to disagree with this. I've lost none to free ranging in all the years I've been ranging. Proper safety measures for free ranging are a must if it is to be done successfully..and accepting losses as a matter of course in free ranging just doesn't have to happen. I keep dogs on watch and provide proper areas to duck and hide. I also cull for survival instincts and keep breeds that survive and thrive on free ranging. I also shoot any stray dogs that hang around.

Free ranging is more than just opening the coop door and letting out the birds. It takes planning and purpose to do it right and your chickens shouldn't have to suffer for the lack thereof. As with anything, doing it properly increases the chances of success.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I have one problem in four years with free ranging, and it was swiftly taken care of :D

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've only lost four to transient hawks and crows. The Bald Eagles are back and they scare the hawks off and don't bother the chickens, so it's a good time of the year for the birds. I've put out a lot of stuff for birds to hide under and the ones taken were juveniles that didn't listen to the boys warning calls and hide. I'd witnessed them ignore calls when I was out. Planes and helicopters go over and the birds get against the house, a fence, or under something. The silkies don't go far from their run and are the first to react to someone thinking they saw something.

I've planted stuff out that will eventually give them more hiding places, but it takes time for plants to grow. There are just no tall plants over the three acres right around the house. So I have to accept a few losses of the less bright ones or keep them penned at all times. Even that won't stop a determined predator. A friend of our had crows find a way into his hen house and they were killing and eating adults.

I have a shotgun for the neighbors dog if it comes back.