Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Worth a try. But, don't you have to watch their protein intake? You might try them with a little bit: use the young leaves, and see how it goes. I know that some animals prefer the leaves wilted.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It can take a LOT of cutting but must be established plants first. I did not think my chickens would be so greedy and planted in an area they could easily access. At first, just a peck or two, then I realized they ate it all!! Now, had it been an established stand, they would have survived the picking of chickens. Goats? Another story! They just stand and munch, on to next. Really, I plan to have large plants, cut leaves and toss to them. The plants get very large once a couple yrs old. At that point, I will work to develop a curing that is workable. Once the leaves dry, it seems they like to just easily break up. If that's what I must do, then top dress, so be it! I can store in a trash can. :D Dairy goats like protein & alfalfa is expensive, so supplementing it will help, and allow more grass hay into mix. Cost. Remember I want to retire.

Once I have the larger plants to set out, it will be in the same general area of the first ones...but with some protection for a while. It's a perfect spot and near my apple trees -- snap a few leaves and drop by the trees. :) The chickens may not want so much when not the young leaves.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Once you have an established plant or two, it would be uber simple to take a few root cuttings to spread the wealth. However, my take is that these roots are super fibrous, so doing crown divisions might require a strong back and a sharp axe.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
True fibrous roots for older plants -- we're talking 5+ yrs. So I'm not worried about that. I did quite a bit of research on the plant to determine it could provide a good amount of supplemental feed in a small area, with little care -- once established. The medicinal and fertilizer is just the iceing on the cake. :D When I retire I will be looking to grow more animal feeds to use for winter. Plenty of pasture in summer. So the quality of feed nutrition is important. Pumpkins and Mangal Beets are part of the plan. Tobacco seeds I have for that -- deworming help. Oregano, rape & wormwood...other herbs, too, have medicinal qualities for animals. Yep, I'm working on them as well as human pluses.

There are medicinal qualities in so many plants.:old Some preventive as well as treatment.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Once you have an established plant or two, it would be uber simple to take a few root cuttings to spread the wealth.

Absolutely my plan. ONCE established. I want them now, too old to wait but so long. That's why my order was shipped...now, I'll have more and by Spring, some to cut from. I'll greenhouse these currently potted...in my upstairs.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Funny, how this thread, like all good conversations has morphed. (from lotions and potions to sustainable feed practices!) Loving it. We have several areas that were churned up when hubby used a borrowed Kubota to move a slash pile, re-gravel the driveway, and finish the HK mound. About a total of 3000 s.f. He wants to plant a portion of that to grass. I plan to plant the rest to red clover (bought seed), and possibly a hay mix (plan to glean seed heads from the property, or buy a bale of seedy hay). Want to use scythe to harvest for hay for chickens and gardens.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm copying over some of the posts on other threads that have recipes.... Hope you don't mind, @Hinotori

Simple whipped body butter
1/2 cup liquid oil
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup beeswax
1 tsp vitamin E oil
2 TBSP cocoa butter
A few drops of essential oil can be added if desired

*Combine liquid oil, coconut oil, beeswax, and cocoa butter in double boiler.

*Heat on medium stirring occasionally until melted. Pull off heat.

*Add vitamin E oil and essential oils.

*Let cool a few minutes then use wisk attachment on hand mixer to whip until it thick but still pourable.

*Pour into waiting containers. Use a spatula to get out as it starts getting solid fast once it gets to this point.

I filled five, 2 oz containers with this recipe.