Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chapstick

1 part cocoa butter (can use shea butter)
1 part coconut oil
I part beeswax

Optional few drops candy flavor oil and few drops non-alcohol stevia extract

Melt together and stir well. Pour into tubes.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't stand the smell of shea butter. It smells like old dolls to me. The candy oil helps cover that, but I never use more than half shea butter and half cocoa butter.

I don't add anything when using just cocoa butter.
It ends up smelling like Mounds candy bars.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lip gloss

3 T sweet almond oil

1.5 T liquid vegetable glycerin

contents of one vitamin E gel cap

1/4 tsp liquid lanolin

2-3 drops candy oil or food grade essential oil

2-3 drops of non-alcohol stevia extract

Mix well and use a dropper to fill roll on bottles. Shaking before use is suggested

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Body butter

1/2 cup liquid oil

1/4 cup coconut oil

1/4 cup beeswax

1 tsp vitamin E oil

2 TBSP cocoa butter

A few drops of essential oil can be added if desired

Combine liquid oil, coconut oil, beeswax, and cocoa butter in double boiler.

Heat on medium stirring occasionally until melted. Pull off heat.

Add vitamin E oil and essential oils.

Let cool a few minutes then use wisk attachment on hand mixer to whip until it thick but still pourable.

Pour into waiting containers. Use a spatula to get out as it starts getting solid fast once it gets to this point.

I filled five, 2 oz containers with this recipe.

Oil extraction of different herbs in the liquid oil would work well in this.

I will probably use some of my Balm of Gilliad I made next time I make this.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lotion

Homemade emulsifier wax
80% beeswax
10% borax
10% liquid lecithin

Melt wax then add lecithin and borax. Stir until well mixed.
Must be made fresh. Does not keep

Lotion
2 parts liquid oil
1 part solid oil
1 part emulsifier wax
4-6 parts water, herbal infusion, aloe vera juice, or other water liquid
1 drop rosemary essential oil per 110 milliliters (4 oz) total liquid
1 milliliter vitamin E oil per 240 milliliters (8 oz) total liquid

All items must be at the temp to keep beeswax melted while mixing. I used mason jars in pans of low simmering water.

Heat liquid oil. Add solid oil until melted. Mix well. Add emulsifier wax. Add Vit E and rosemary oil. Using mixer, slowly add water until it comes together at consistency a little bit more liquid than desired. Will thicken as it cools.

Pour into containers.

For a general skin healing lotions, I use a very strong calendula and comfrey infusion for my water.

I use almond and olive oils that I oil extracted calendula and comfrey in ahead of time. I also use a small amount of castor oil in my liquid oil.

Other herbs can be used for different properties.

We've found that thicker lotion heals quicker as it sticks around longer.

Mint or eucalyptus essential oil added in equal parts with the rosemary oil helps reduce and cancel the scent.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love the smell of Shea. hubby hates it. Funny how everybody reacts differently. If you don't like Shea, why use it at all?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can you explain the use of water/emulsifier wax. What is the purpose of emulsifying and adding water? Is this so that your final mix is not too "oily"? I was under the impression that borax can be toxic (a tiny little bit goes a very long way in gardening, and is not even approved for organic gardening unless soil tests show a boron deficiency. I use it in my laundry detergent, but would be hesitant to use it in a lotion. Are your percentages for the emulsifier wax by weight? How long does this lotion keep? Is my fear of borax irrational?

Do you freeze your lotions, salves and ointments to give them a longer shelf life?

For Calendula, do you just use petals, and what would be your ratio? Comfrey... how do you use that? Dry, fresh? Ratio? I assume I can make an oil infusion with these 2 plants for a general healing salve.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm loving all these recipes. It's nice to see them all in one place. Thanks to all for your participation. Yet an other question, where do you all buy your EO's and other supplies? Tips for best brands, what to avoid?

Finally, do you have dedicated equipment? I really can see no reason why I can't use my kitchen immersion blender, or even my pots and pans, and whisks to make these products. Of course, bee's wax... now... I KNOW that I don't want to get that on my good equipment. But... once the bee's wax is incorporated, it should wash off well with general hot water and soap.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the smell of Shea. hubby hates it. Funny how everybody reacts differently. If you don't like Shea, why use it at all?

It still has good skin uses. I just have to cover the scent. Mom likes it.

I see it the same as cilantro. You either love or hate the scent, but salsa rocks.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Expand quote. My replies are in bold

Can you explain the use of water/emulsifier wax. What is the purpose of emulsifying and adding water?

The emulsifier needs dispersed throughout the oil to make the water incorporate. Otherwise it just separates.

Is this so that your final mix is not too "oily"?

Lotion has water in it to make it more creamy and soak in faster. I don't use the body butter because just oil is too much for my skin. The lotion works good for me. It's opposite for my Mom.

I was under the impression that borax can be toxic (a tiny little bit goes a very long way in gardening, and is not even approved for organic gardening unless soil tests show a boron deficiency. I use it in my laundry detergent, but would be hesitant to use it in a lotion.

Borax is pretty safe for mammals as long as you don't eat it, and even then it would take a decent amount to upset your stomach. You can buy premade emulsifier waxes but the ingredients all have cancer concerns.

Are your percentages for the emulsifier wax by weight?

The recipe I found didn't actually say. I use measuring spoons for it since the Vit E and rosemary oil are calculated by volume of ingredients.

How long does this lotion keep?

6 weeks on the counter depending on how liquid. It freezes well. I usually pull out a new jar once a month. I only make it twice a year.

Is my fear of borax irrational?

Don't breathe in a lot of borax dust, actually eat it, or apply a paste of it to your skin and there should be zero issues. It's a tiny amount used. Unless you're actually super sensitive to it, it won't do anything. Even then it would just irritate the skin.

Do you freeze your lotions, salves and ointments to give them a longer shelf life?

This freezes well. Does not separate on thawing.

For Calendula, do you just use petals, and what would be your ratio?

I use whole dried flower heads.

Comfrey... how do you use that? Dry, fresh? Ratio?

Also dried leaves. If I need 2 cups of liquid, I'd use a cup of each plant then pour 3 cups of hot water over to steep. Strain and measure.

I assume I can make an oil infusion with these 2 plants for a general healing salve.

Yes. I generally take a jar and fill it with whatever dried herb and pour almond or olive oil over and let it sit a week. Then I strain and measure out what I need. The Balm of Gilliad takes at least 6 weeks and is best with fresh buds. Make sure there is an air permeable top if using fresh so moisture can escape. I use coffee filters.