1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. WW2 Rationing Recipes - Canadian and British - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

ALL THINGS TOPICAL

Discussion in 'Natural Remedies' started by Lazy Gardener, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Jun 23, 2019
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

For me there are quite a few stores that carry stuff here. A lot of the EOs I get off Amazon. There are different grades. You also have to make sure that it's not just a scented oil. When we get home, I'll see what brands I have. Something from a larger brand like NOW isn't a bad choice. The MLMs are poor choices for anything. They've been caught with adulterated and outright fraudulent products that are more expensive than what you'd get from a reputable brand. They also don't know squat about their products other than vague promotional words.

Do not apply EOs directly to skin. They must be diluted or they can burn. It can also cause actual sensitivity to the oil so that you can never use that type again without a reaction. Basically by using them incorrectly you can cause an almost allergic reaction to them.

I have dedicated equipment. Even after making a lotion there is still some coating of beeswax that seems to get everywhere. Just means a bowl, cheap measuring cup/spoon set, couple bigger glass measuring cups, couple jars, and a $10 hand mixer. Also an apron to keep oil off clothes. I use a paper plate as a bowl shield when mixing.

Lazy Gardener and sumi like this.
  2. Jun 25, 2019
    Marianne

Marianne Super Self-Sufficient

This thread is great!

I live in cottonwood country so I did the cottonwood buds in oil. It does give some relief, but sometimes you have to break out the big guns. This worked better for me. It makes a HUGE batch, I think I made 1/4 and still have some after several years. Still works...

Sore Muscle Rub

16 oz. rubbing alcohol
    40 aspirin OR 40 ibuprofen(Advil) OR 40 naproxen sodium (Aleve), your choice

Put pills and some of the alcohol into a small blender. Blend until pills are all finely crushed, then add the rest of the alcohol.

Add:
    1 oz vegetable glycerin (helps with texture)
    1/4 oz orange oil (helps skin to absorb it better - I didn't have any)

Blend for one minute.

If you use MSM, now's the time to add some. Use up to 15 capsules (open and pour into a dinky container), add a bit of distilled water and let the powder dissolve. Add it to the stuff in the blender and blend for another minute. Let it sit over night in a tightly sealed jar. Filter it the next day and bottle. Rub it on the sore area as needed.

I didn't filter mine and it STILL has that weirdo Advil color that settles at the bottom. I put it in a recycled soy sauce bottle.
    At first I was kind of creeped out about the number of pills involved, even a 1/4 batch is still a lot. But you're using just a bit in a localized area.

sumi and Hinotori like this.
  3. Jun 25, 2019
    Hinotori

Now you have me thinking about extracting some inner willow bark in oil. I don't have white willow which is best, but all willows have some of pain killing properties.

4. Jun 25, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

The willow bark sounds like a good idea. It was used for centuries for pain relief.

5. Jun 25, 2019
    Hinotori

Yes. White willow bark was what they developed aspirin from.

I have a bit of it dried that I mix with mint for a pain relief tea. Mainly because willow bark isn't very good tasting.

6. Jun 26, 2019
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Marianne, milkmansdaughter and sumi like this.
  7. Jun 26, 2019
    Marianne

Marianne Super Self-Sufficient

When I was a kid, we went to OK to visit my aunt. I was chewed up by mosquitoes the next day. She wiped ACV all over me. It took away the itch, and prevented more bites.

You can also pinch off a bit of ACV mother to use for pain relief. I tried it on a scrape on my knee and it knocked the pain in a jiffy. But as soon as I showered, the pain was back, so it's something that needs to stay on. I read that some of the old timers would save 'mothers' in a separate jar just for that reason.

sumi and Hinotori like this.
  8. Jun 26, 2019
    Hinotori

Vinegar works very well to soothe nettle stings. Need to keep the spot covered with it.

Marianne and sumi like this.
  9. Jun 30, 2019
    HomesteaderWife

HomesteaderWife Almost Self-Reliant

No recipes on my end to offer thus far, but checking this out and bookmarking for later!

10. Jun 30, 2019
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Super Self-Sufficient

Has anyone here done anything with figs?? I'm just learning some of their benefits. I have a fig tree and access to two more. @Lazy Gardener and @Hinotori and @Britesea,(and anyone else) I could dry some of the leaves if you want to experiment. But I've never done it before so I'll have to experiment drying them.
    https://draxe.com/figs-nutrition/