Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am collecting calendula flowers from the few maturing plants that I have. Also, keeping my eyes open for dandelion blossoms. There are late ones cropping up now. Unfortunately, hubby mows them down before I get to them.

I've done the infused oils to make my Jewel Weed/Plantain salve. Have it holding in the fridge till I can measure it and add the wax. The Jewel Weed that I have growing on my property right now is top quality, as is the plantain.

Next up is comfrey salve.

Does anyone have experience freezing the plant material so you can do the infusions in the fall when the weather is not so hot?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's an article that I found helpful. I'm just getting started with making salves, so really don't have much experience to draw upon. But, I can say that my experience with the plantain/jewel weed/ sage has been good. My 94 y.o. Dad who is plagued with dry skin and "plaques", as well as having been treated for various skin cancers, absolutely loves the stuff. It takes away the constant itch.

https://blog.mountainroseherbs.com/diy-herbal-salves

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@ Sumi. Is it possible to do multiple LATE edits to post #1 of this thread? My thought is this: It would be great to edit post #1 by listing the product recipes so one could know all items on the list w/o having to scroll through multiple pages. for example:

Body butter Post # x

Chap stick Post # y

Poison Ivy salve Post #z.

If this can be done w/o much work, I'd be happy to get the listing started.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm thinking that I need to build a raised bed full of aromatics, with a focus on salve ingredients. Imagination never matches reality.

She imagines: a raised bed, neatly contained with lumber. The grass is neatly mowed around the edges of this bed. The plants contained within are neatly organized in straight rows, with a lovely mulch to protect the soil, nourish the plants, and maintain optimal soil moisture.

What she gets: a raised bed, with plants taking over in wild abandon. The more aggressive plants completely crowd out their shy neighbors. While the mulch is there, it becomes invisible b/c of encroaching weeds. Meanwhile, the grass grows tall outside the bed, setting seeds, sending out invading rhizomes, all with the intent of taking over this new oasis of beautiful soil.