Allergy help please

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Any ideas for me to try? I am allergic to household dust, grasses, and cat. I know this because of the skin prick tests from the allergists. I started getting allergy shots last Feb. I take a daily Singulair, one or two Claritin and Benadryl as needed. I cough and sneeze, have watery eyes and chest congestion even with taking all these meds.

Now here's the kicker. I took a 5 week vacation to my parent's place in another state, where I grew up. rural area, stayed in a dusty little guest house that the cats stay in when I'm not there. Surrounded by grass, dust and animals. After my second day there, all of my allergy symptoms stopped. I didn't cough or sneeze once. I came back home and immediately closed up.

Obviously, I am allergic to CA. But what, besides moving back in with my parents, can I try?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ummm, have you had your home tested for mold spores? That in itself could cause your other 'allergies' to flare when they usually wouldn't. I would really say look at your home first and foremost, indoor air quality etc.
I know that my home I am allergic to because of the cedar inside. And only in August when the humidity is high and the cedar oils get a little more pungent because of the high humidity. Mold in a house will also get me to the point that you are. Another thing that will do it is septic gasses leaking into the home...and you can't always smell those, but they WILL affect your breathing and sinuses. Just a few things to look into.
As for the skin prick allergy tests, they are not as reliable as most people think. Sometimes just because you react to being scratched by something doesn't mean you actually have an allergy. My brother is allergic to everything according to the allergy tests, but he doesn't react to any of it...strange, but true

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I went to an allergist years ago and asked about the skin prick tests. He said the same thing, they are not reliable. I asked for them anyway (good insurance, and curious mind!) and with maybe 16??? tests, the only reaction I got was on the control, which had nothing on it! And we tested the things I KNOW I react to.

A few years later, another doctor got me to try a very expensive product called OPC-3 through nutraMetrix. I agreed to take it at triple the label instructions for six months as a test. Within three months, not only was I off all allergy meds, but my terrible menstrual problems that I'd had for years resolved, and a bunch of other things. I never looked back. It was/is worth the money. I hated the way I felt on the allergy meds.

Within a year, I became a consultant for nutraMetrix as well as a distributor. So if you are interested, I can get your doctor or other health professional info on carrying it. That is a shameless commerce plug for my services. I admit it. So there! :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Also, it could be environmental. Where I live now, it is considered the smog capital of Canada. Windsor, Ontario (well, where I used to live, which is about an hour away from me now, but it's still bad here.

I used to live up north near Timmins, where the air is really pure. Smof alerts had not made it tht far north yet, (I don;t know if they have them now (Morel??do you know?)

anyhoo, my sinuses are always plugged/irritated. I haven't bothered to get tested, but I know that I react now to things that wouldn't bother me before.

Is the air cleaner, as in smog--where you grew up? Is the air bad where you live? could be an issue too.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
just spitballing here but some of the reaction at your old home is, as you grew up there you grew antibodies and resistance to the pollens and dust in that area you may only be mildly allergic to cats. you are taking alot of meds to block histamine, it cant be good for your body. have you ever tried sinus rinses? they work quite well if done right.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I went the allergy skin testing route myself and got shots for years, starting with weekly then gradually tapering to once and month. I haven't had a shot in over two years and still have very few symptoms even in what used to be my worst times of year. I tested positive to both cats and dogs. We've got 2 and 3 respectively. I am not bothered by them. Not necessarily pushing the shot route, just letting you know that it has worked for me. ;)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Eating local raw honey can ease allergy symptoms. But having your home tested might be a good idea.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I think a lot of these ideas have merit. I am very worried about mold in my house although we have all hardwood floors and no AC, so nothing is coming through vents. I will get all the windows cleaned and look for other areas. I grew up in a very rural area, and am now in LA county. The air here is terrible right now because of fires. I also believe I am immune to some of the stuff where I grew up. The mosquitos don't even attack me as much as my dh and kids. :lol: Also at my parents I drink raw goats milk which I think helps too. I will check out sources for honey, not sure how local I can get. I have been getting allergy shots for 7 months now, haven't noticed an improvement.