Alpaca fleece

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wouldn't keep it in the greenhouse when it gets hot. The heat will breakdown the fibers.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
I wouldn't keep it in the greenhouse when it gets hot. The heat will breakdown the fibers.
Yes, I read that somewhere else this afternoon. I'll move them tomorrow. Maybe I should put the cats in the greenhouse ;)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
If you have a spinning group in town you have a ready way to give away (or even sell!) some of those bags of fleece! I have to say I have one baby alpaca and one adult alpaca fleece and I am partway through spinning one of them in a year. Granted, I'm not the most focused- too much else to do, but I can't imagine the bonanza of all that fleece!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Update on the fleeces - I borrowed a set of carders, and my friend and I spent a fun evening making baby *tribbles* (or rolags, if you weren't ever a Star Trek fan). It took an evening, and a lot of talk, and a bottle of wine, to make a not at all noticeable dent in one of the bags. This is a project to pass on to the grandchildren - except that I don't have kids, so I'll need to find somebody else's :lol:. I used some of our production to practice with the drop spindle, and that knowledge came back pretty quickly. Doesn't look all that great, but I am getting better. Had to take a break for awhile as I wasn't feeling well this week, but today I was able to go into town to talk with the fiber artist lady again. She let me use her drum carder, which is also not real quick, but faster than the hand carders. And, big news, she has a spinning wheel for sale, after she finishes fixing it up, for about a third the price of new. I told her I would buy it; I either will like this adventure, and want to continue it, or won't, and then I can resell the wheel. I will need to organize my time better though; I'm having a hard time turning my mind to garden work at the moment, and that really can't wait much longer.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Good news about the wheel :D And it is amazing how little dent you put in a whole fleece, especially when you are doing it by hand! I think I want a drum carder...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
valmom said:
Good news about the wheel :D And it is amazing how little dent you put in a whole fleece, especially when you are doing it by hand! I think I want a drum carder...
I KNOW I want a drum carder .... :lol:
But for now I will continue to make the short drive to town everyonce in awhile, and use the Wool Lady's. I was planning to go there this afternoon, but I am picking up new chicks tomorrow, and need to get the brooder ready :D