Alrighty Folks...POW Pics needed! **Big new call out in #124**

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
your chubbies in the snow.
The white bird was a Cornish Rock "slow grow" strain from Welps Hatchery. She laid eggs like a machine for 2 years and then was an almost 8 pound (!) roasting hen. :drool

Talk about a dual purpose bird! :D

Corona~Barb

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this forum. Thought I'd post a pic of what we cast iron nuts do with our Dutch ovens when it's too cold to cook outside (just kidding, it's never too cold to cook in a black pot!).

001-9.jpg

Merry Christmas!

Corona~Barb
So Calif.

Trying to bloom where I'm planted...

Corona~Barb

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks! I belong to, and am Secty for, the So Cal Chapter IDOS (International Dutch Oven Society). We get together every few months for a DOG (dutch oven gathering) and have a great time. We cook outdoors using charcoal (a few hardy individuals in, oh Texas or Utah, might use wood coals or them 'chips'). I have baked everything from Thanksgiving turkey breast and side dishes to cheesecake. Not hard at all when you get used to figuring out how to control the heat.

It's just like any hobby, you start collecting stuff...only this takes up a bit more room and is heavy too. The bottom pot is a 14" and I can barely lift it, let alone with food in it. The very top one is a kettle, the top pot is a 5" IDOS special run that is now a collector's item. Wish I had bought more than one at the time. :)

It's a great way to cook. We don't get too many bad storms here where the electricity goes out, but if it ever does, I'm prepared! And friends are amused when I show up at a potluck with a black pot of warm food.

Corona~Barb

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I'm glad you joined the forum. I have cast iron skillets, a Dutch oven, a variety of corn bread pans, a grill pan and a tortilla pan. I love cast iron.

I am still having trouble with scrambled eggs in my cast iron skillet. Any tips? What do you recommend for seasoning the skillet so they won't stick? (Maybe we should start our own thread, eh?)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh, yeah! That should be the POW for Christmas week, for sure! That is truly a cute idea and a great pic.

Welcome to the forum, BTW! :)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Holy smokes the DH is going to go nuts when he sees that 'tree'!!! Thanx for posting and welcome to SS!!