Altbier

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Next up will be a German Altbier. Alt in German means Old and Bier means Beer. So for us Americans this is a Old Beer. Although the name doesn't sound appealing on it merits, It's not that hey this beer is nasty 5 years old beer, it's that the Style is Old. So old as a matter of fact it predates the discovery of Lager yeast. Although, I don't ever recall having tasted an Altbier and even finding a altbier here in the US might be very difficult. But on my quest to understand and brew German beers, I find this style very intriguing.

Current synopsis:
Although I'm sure there are many varieties to the altbier style, two primary distinctive varieties exist that sparked my interest. Northern German and Düsseldorf of the lower lower Rhine region.

The current production of altbier for all of German has significantly declined from it's hayday, to less than 5% of all beer styles produced annually. However in the town of Düsseldorf there are a few pubs that produce only one beer exclusively. One pub produces exclusively altbier, with the exact same recipe they have brewed for over 800 years. It's my understanding that they roll a wooden barrel out of the cellar through the pub and tap it with a simple faucet. They serve steins from the gravity fed faucet.

This experience is explained in one of the books I have (Brewing Classic Styles) see attached pic. What a way to make a living... Why can't I have a job like this? Drink beers from all over the world and write a book or two 😭.

As I read the snippet, and the following recipe, it sounds Devine. That is until I read the IBU of 45. IBU = international bitter unit, is a measurement of how bitter the beer is. Good Lord man, that's way off the chart for what I would consider a drinkable beer. I prefer an IBU of around 10 to 12 with an absolute maximum of 20 and even at 20 I don't even want a second swallow unless I find some other quality that interests me. But I usually pour the beer out.
IMG_20200112_154626795.jpg

If there is one thing I learned about German beers so far, is that Munich and Pilsen base malts, in varying precentages, make up most of the grain bill and the use of German Noble Hops in varying quantities are used exclusively. The four varieties of the four noble hops are, Hallertau, Saaz, Spalt, and Tettnang. So for me, when I see a German beer recipe if it doesn't contain both Munich and Pilsen base malts and at least one of the 4 German noble hops, I immediately question it's authenticity.

This Cowboy Altbrier recipe with it's use of Magnum high alpha acid hops, is highly suspect to me. It may make an absolutely Devine beer for a "hop head" but I'm not a one of those hop goblins.
IMG_20200112_170454791.jpg

Also, the use of Liquid Malt Extract (LME) is something I simply do not like to brew with anymore. It's so difficult to work with... It goes straight to the bottom of the kettle where it's easily scorched if you don't turn off the flame under the kettle and stir until your arm falls off. It's about the consistancy of molasses in January and next to impossible to get all of it out of the jar even with piping hot water. So if I did a little tweaking I think I "might could" brew an acceptable (to me) Düsseldorf Altbrier.

It's also interesting to note the author's difficulty with the use of hops to brew a representative Düsseldorf Altbrier he enjoyed so much.
IMG_20200112_172506651.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Primary fermention has completed. The gravity was 1.014 which puts this Altbrier at 5.0% on the nose. Safale K-97 (German Ale Yeast). Is most definitely a top fermention yeast. I was surprised to see a thick creamy yeast crop sitting on to of the beer when I opened the primary fermenter.

After racking off 5 gallons in-between the top yeast crop and the trub on the bottom, I ended up filling a 5 gallon corny keg. And I was able to harvest 3/4 of a gallon of yeast, trub and beer to start future batches.

The beer tasted smooth and had a great flavor and a good mouthfeel. I have the keg lagering, where it will remain for a few weeks before I bring it in to carbonate

So far so good... Hoping for a great beer when it finishes.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After much reseach, I crafted an altbier recipe that I think will turn out to be a decent brew. I chose German noble hops Hallertau because I already like the bittering flavor it produces with German pilsner malt. For aroma I'm going with German noble hop Spalt, because of it's medium aroma intensity, that's pleasant and hoppy.

I'm calling my recipe Copper Altbier, it should turn out to be 11~12 SRM (Standard Reference Method) which is a nice copper color. I'm shooting for a good house brew to keep on tap year round, like the pubs do in Düsseldorf Germany. This will be a lower alcohol content brew and hopefully a nice ballance of bitter and sweet. I'm sure I'll tweak it some as I brew it more often.

This is my first all grain recipe. But feel free to copy & brew. If you need a recipe for Dried Malt Extract (LME), substitute the 10 lbs of pilsner whole grain for 6 lbs of pilsner LME. Perform a mini-mash for the 1 lb of Carmel whole grains in 1 gallon of water @155 for 30 minutes.
IMG_20200114_225515.jpg

This is how it should look when it's ready to drink. Copper body, with a light copper colored head, a Copper Altbrier.
851216-2.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm preforming an experiment with what I gathered from the bottom of the Altbrier brew kettle and safale K-97 German Ale Yeast.

I filtered out all off the hop and sluge (trub) and refrigerated about 3 quarts in a clean and sterlize 1 gallon jug, while my 6 gallon Altbrier batch fermented.

After the 6 gallon batch finished fermention, I harvested the yeast and let both the yeast and 3/4 gallon come to the same temperature. Then I added a small amount of harvested yeast to the 1 gallon jug.

The brew started fermenting almost immediately. Normal ale yeast ferments no less than 65 degrees, but this K-97 likes it cooler down into the upper 50's. Unlike other ale yeasts I've tried, K-97 is a true top feeder and create a thick creamy krauesen. I'm really liking this yeast so far. Only downside is you have to give it plenty of headroom or it will create an explosive mess.

from what I've read K-97 is a very old strain of German yeast and what German beer was fermented with before the invent of lager yeasts. It's a strange ale yeast... Because you actually treat it like a lager yeast and lager the beer the same way you would as a lager yeast.

It's always fun to experiment... K-97 is most definitely a top crop fermenting yeast. But it's going strong on the higher end of lager yeast temperature @ 56 degrees F
IMG_20200203_242840903.jpg

Also interesting is dead yeast cells drops out white in color.
IMG_20200203_242852361.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't believe it my first all grain and self made recipe, plus my filtered and treated "city" water, actually turned out a good brew. I can tell by the taste my filtered and treated city water should be good for amber and lighter colored brews. It will most definitely need additions for darker brews. But hey I'm quite happy with this Copper Altbrier :) it's smooth, easy drinking, the bitter vs sweet is well balanced. It has a strong malty aroma that over powers the aroma hops. It could use a tad more aroma hops but it's not fully carbonated yet either. Full carbonation may bring the aroma hops more to the forefront. If not, I'll adjust my recipe for more aroma hops. But all in all I'm pleasantly surprised. I really thought it was going to be aweful - surprise!

IMG_20200207_160445948.jpg

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Now fully carbonated and I still can't believe it this is a really good tasting brew. It's my first self crafted all-grain recipe and with city water none the less.

It has the right amount of body and mouthfeel. It starts a little sweet and ends a little bitter but the bitter vanishes quickly. it has a great aroma, that's not overpowering at all. Heck it's even good to look at, being copper in color with a light golden head on the bottom that fades to white on top and with nice white lacing in the glass. I'm not changing a thing about this brew, I like it just as it is. This is now my house brew, something that I would proudly serve to family and friends.

IMG_20200210_181837.jpg

IMG_20200210_181311.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Copper Altbier is now fully carbonated and finished. it's unique and an enjoyable beer to drink. I don't ever recall drinking a beer that tastes quite like this one before.

IMG_20200223_184451.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for LME mix it with some of your kettle contents before adding to help make it easier to incorporate. will be much easier...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had to change up a couple of ingredients for the brew based on availability from ritebrew. It happens... No biggie, this is more of an experimental beer than anything... My order has shipped and should be here the middle of next week. I plan on brewing my copper Altbrier all grain next weekend. It'll be a good lower gravity brew to try out new brew gear for the first time and feed the chickens and turkeys at the same time.

Final recipe exported from Wort for Android
IMG_20200118_194427.jpg