Alternative living.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They also had figured out not having soap, TP and toothbrushes as we know them today! There are alternatives. Our modern conveniences are nice but, replaceable if SHTF. 😁

My grandparents had no electric, or a car! Anyway, clothes got made and washed, food grown and canned. Different time.
Part of the reason for tooth care today is because of the processed food.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes there is some wear on enamel from modern toothbrushes. Not really noticeable even over decades if you're using soft ones. Hard bristle is noticeable. Both dentists I've used in the last 2 decades have been adamant that only soft bristle should be used.

I'm not sure how electric toothbrushes like Oral B effect teeth.
Electric toothbrushes are better. I have receding gums from over brushing (no cavities ever!) with medium toothbrushes and was recommended by a dentist to use only a soft bristle brush, or better get an electric toothbrush. I believe it has helped to slow or even stop my gums from receding more.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
When DH was a bachelor, he only heated his living room in winter, and slept on the couch.

We have been keeping it steady here because we have old wood furnace that doesnt have good regulation and propane.

We used to keep it very cool and avoid using propane heat until the weather is cold enough to use the wood furnace. But going from 60 degrees to 80 degrees when switching furnaces was triggering my symptoms.

Instead of conserving propane and acclimating to lower temps, we switched strategies to improving insulation. DH retrofitted vapor barrier and redid the attic insulation. It made a huge difference! He bought insulation for the under the main level floor to trap more heat upstairs. He will probably do that project in January.

Our second floor is poorly heated and we just deal with it. I'm sleeping in our guest room which doesnt have any heat. I read or journal in bed to warm up the bed and blankets before bedtime. Its okay, but I might switch bedrooms when we get really cold weather (-20 degrees F).

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WE don't deal with the kid of cold that a lot of you do. But, we do close off as many north facing rooms as we can to keep a barrier between the rest of the house and the north wall. We rarely run any heat upstairs except maybe a space heater in the bathroom. I generally have a heated mattress pad or blanket on the bed, but lately they have bit the dust within a year of purchase and I'm ticked off about that. Not feeling like purchasing another, so I'll preheat the bed with a heating pad instead. We wear more clothes inside and put off turning the heat on as long as possible.

I'd much rather deal with cold than heat! Just don't ask me to do without AC in the summer lol.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The japanese have these awesome quilts called kotatsu that come down off the low table. Sometimes you can find electric ones. You just sit with your legs under and are toasty.

Tapestries and other fabric wall hangings were used in drafty stone castles to keep the cold out.

Window quilts are a little more modern but still work.

We heat the the kitchen/living room (about 400 sq feet) and bathroom. Just where the pipes are.

There is some air transfer to the bedroom but it's always cold in there. I just add more blankets.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Animals are so perceptive and devoted! I love that cat.

A tiny poodle I had made herself the official hearing aid for my late DH. If phone rang, door knock, or I called him to eat, she'd give him a look -- if he answered she was fine, if not she would go bark at him and run to the noise, several times if needed. :love she did chew up a hearing aide he dropped once...😢