Alternative living.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What about alternative living without money? This is what people used to do, when we had fur, and probably even after we lost our fur. People used to trade more, and then paper money (no longer backed by gold or silver) became worth something (fiat). Now it's mostly just numbers in a bank account. I saw one you tube video of someone who lives without money. He lives in or near the desert, but was dumpster diving, which is not for me.

i'm currently able to get by on very little, but not zero. it lets me earn enough to pay for the heat and if we need something else that Mom can't afford i will spring for it or split the cost with her. like i paid for the new roof when we needed it done. depends upon what it is. but eventually things will get more complex when i need to buy a place of my own, but as long as i can go on like this i will because it keeps things very simple.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They also had figured out not having soap, TP and toothbrushes as we know them today! There are alternatives. Our modern conveniences are nice but, replaceable if SHTF. 😁

My grandparents had no electric, or a car! Anyway, clothes got made and washed, food grown and canned. Different time.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I watched both videos and can't say I want to do either lifestyle as a chosen. Appreciate their resourcefulness but, I rather like my farm and traditional house. All about frugal, natural living with gardening, chickens and my goats. It's about improving on my own ability to live with less cash needs for day to day -- food sourcing is most of that -- most of the utilities/ housing/ taxes and insurance are set and reasonably controllable, where I live. While a few things I'd like to improve upon, I'm pretty happy with life. Still healthy, too. That enables me to do what I do. :old

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i always felt that using a soft bristle brush just wasn't getting the gunk off my teeth well enough so i went back to a firm bristle brush. i'm not over-brushing and haven't had a problem with my gums getting worse.
I've use a made up toothpaste of coconut oil bicarbonate and sometimes a clay mixed. I find this really cleans my teeth. :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you are brushing your teeth regularly, you shouldn't need a lot of abrasives. Plaque takes about 24 hours to form, at which time it is still soft and pasty. If you leave it on your teeth for longer, it starts to harden, and that is when you need abrasives to break it up. (from my dentist)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i forgot to mention one of the other strategies that was used in Japan. the kimono is like it is because those billowing robes act to trap heat coming up from the floor. they built some parts of their rooms with stone slabs and the fireplace was off to the side so the heat would warm the slab and then the people on the slab would have their robes to catch the heat coming up. that to me was genius level right there when i first read about that. i mean you'd not have to heat the entire house just keep enough heat on the slab and you'd be sitting there nice and warm. :) i could handle that. :)

and maybe that would work out well enough if you had solar panels or a wind powered generator so that you could use that to warm up a tank of water and then you could recirculate heat as needed. or direct solar heat to hot water (which is more efficient than doing the conversion both directions).

i'm always thinking about how to do some kind of heat budget and storage here as i think that is a good way to cut down on energy use and to make it more comfortable too in the winter.

good insulation for sure is a big help and also making sure the walls aren't letting too much air in and out of the house. you do want some air exchange, but you can get air exchange and at the same time still not lose too much heat.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Heated mattress pad here! I keep temps lower and layer clothes more. But we aren't into our COLD yet....which isn't the cold you northerners get but, more than I want. 😁 I don't use my central heat, live in downstairs only, so space heaters or the propane heater, which looks like a wood burner stove and ceiling fan on low. About 1300 sq ft. Open floor plan. So far I'm handling colder house temps better this year than last. Normally upper 60s inside. Bake a couple times a week....lower temps when out of house for more than quick trip. Plus off hot water tank 2 days, on 1. Few lights needed. It all makes a difference! My house is also well insulated with garage on north side.

I find keeping neck, upper back and feet warm makes a real difference. So turtle necks, vest, thick socks. Snuggie shoes. Those type things. I own a lot of long johns and flannel.

Summer I use a/c but temps closer to 75 inside....not a fan of cold.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Growing up we always had a small blanket over the end of the bed. It covers the feet to keep them warmer. Even Great Grandma did this as it's how her Swiss family did things.

I have one of those big quad sheepskins on my bed. Keeps all air off the feet. The german shepherd sleeps down there as well and I shove feet under her if I'm really cold.

We've had an unusually warm (and dry) winter so far.

On a side note, the greenhouse tarps I put around the silkie pens have prevented their water from freezing at all even when the large fowl pen has over a half inch thick ice puck in theirs.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a little electric "lap robe" that I keep on the foot of Dad's bed. He's living here for hospice care. His circulation is so poor that his toes are often blue. However, he says the electric blanket kicks out too much heat, even on low. What works best for him is his "lap cat". She sleeps in his lap while he's in the living room, in his recliner. When we get him up to go to bed, she jumps down, runs to his bedroom and waits there for him, so she can do her night time job! When he gets up in the morning, his toes are toasty warm, thanks to his lap cat.

I prefer wood heat, and generally we use that. But, with Dad's needs, we can't use wood heat 24/7 b/c the bedrooms get too cold. So... oil most of the time. Moving forward, when things are back to normal for us, I intend to build at least 1 DIY solar space heater to mount under the W and S facing bedroom windows, to vent heat in through the windows or through a vent installed at floor level.