Alternative to store-bought coffee creamer

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Explosive powder? Nice! :rolleyes:

I have never liked the powdered stuff anyway, so at least I don't have that on my conscious. ;)

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
That coffee creamer is so toxic. Honestly even heavy cream with regular white sugar would be a big step up.
Forgive me but "toxic"? Are you just saying because it is high in fat and sugar or is really toxic? Yes, I am addicted to the stuff. I joke that I don't actually like coffee but I LOVE coffee creamer. Could you elaborate a little on the toxicity? I am hoping you were saying it as an exxageration.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
One item in those powders is hydrogenated fats (may be called mono- and di-glycerides to get hydrogenated off the label). This type of fat is very, very toxic as the body will be tricked into using it to build cell walls in place of saturated fats. This creates areas where critical communication and reactions can no longer take place properly or even at all. Diabetes is one of the results, since insulin can no longer transport energy into the working cells. So it is stored as fat and the person feels tired. Simplified explanation.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
I was addicted to the powdered stuff. I was cured when I watched an episode of Myth Busters where they BLEW UP and drum full of the stuff. We're talking 100 foot high flames!! If you'd like motivation to break the habit that way go to UTube and search for the video!! Now I just use a lot of organice half and half and stevia. I got used to it.
Just think of what you could use it for if/when TSHIF! Stay back, or I'll use powered creamer on you.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Forgive me but "toxic"? Are you just saying because it is high in fat and sugar or is really toxic?
It's toxic on many levels. First there is the hydrogenation of the fats, then their is soy, and the last part is all the sugars. Even the sugar free versions are loaded with high carb fillers.

Natural fat, especially saturated fat is quite healthy and necessary for health. Once the fat is hydrogenated, you turn it in to a harmful substance. Soy, unless fermented, messed with your thyroid and hormone levels. And the dangers of sugar are well known and documented.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you Freemotion and Wifezilla...and thank you for not making fun of my question. I learn something new every day. I will be making some changes. And I will be looking more deeply at what you were saying about soy. I don't think I eat soy products but I didn't realize it was in the coffee creamer so...there you go. Ugh, coffee withdrawals are going to be hard (I really do only like coffee with all that flavored stuff in it.)
I realize I am not supposed to go off on a different tangent on someone else's thread but if anyone has any suggestions about what they think I might find interesting ... feel free to pm me. I have recently made a lot of changes (after slowly stumbling onto new info and ideas) and I am open to more new ideas. Again, THANK YOU!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
WZ - my guilty pleasure is the liquid creamer flavor - Southern Butter Pecan. Any suggestions on a healthier option with a similar flavor profile?

I have a Dr's appt (6 month checkup) and I know I'm going to get yelled at, or at least talked to sternly. :p I try to cut out stuff to eat better, but the creamer is hard. I'm going have to get back on the low(er) carb diet, and I know it's not that big a deal for just one cup in morning. But if cut it out, I've found it easier to fight temptation on other things.......

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
WZ - my guilty pleasure is the liquid creamer flavor - Southern Butter Pecan. Any suggestions on a healthier option with a similar flavor profile?

I have a Dr's appt (6 month checkup) and I know I'm going to get yelled at, or at least talked to sternly. :p I try to cut out stuff to eat better, but the creamer is hard. I'm going have to get back on the low(er) carb diet, and I know it's not that big a deal for just one cup in morning. But if cut it out, I've found it easier to fight temptation on other things.......
In a pinch, butter pecan ice cream is better for you then creamer. You could even make your own! Freeze it in tiny containers, and label it something nasty so the family will leave it alone.

Latest posts