Alternative to store-bought coffee creamer

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:frow I admit, I have an addiction and this time of year just seems to make it stronger.

I LOVE the flavored coffee creamers sold in the grocery and use a lot in each cup. :hide I know I don't need the HFCS or the other unrecognizable additives.

So, I've been searching for alternatives.

I don't like milk in my coffee -- just colors the coffee. If I add heavy cream, then my taste buds also want sugar and "flavor."

Most days I can get by either drinking it black or using just the flavored stevia. About 4 drops of vanilla to a large mug will do me. Or I've done 3 drops of chocolate along with 3 drops of peppermint for a nice blend of flavor. SweetLeaf makes these liquid flavored Stevia in many choices.

But some days only a rich creamy cup of java will do me, and I itch to by the creamers like the Belgian Toffee or the Buttercream (thankfully that one went away for the season :rolleyes:). Now I'm craving Gingerbread and Pumpkin Spice.

So I tried these recipes.

Flavored Creamer
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups milk
Flavoring of choice
Vanilla: 1 Tbsp vanilla
Amaretto: 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp almond extract
Almond Cappuccino: 1 tsp almond extract 1/2 tsp orange extract
Chocolate Almond: 1-2 Tbsp cocoa 1 tsp almond extract
Mint Chocolate: 3 Tbsp cocoa 1 tsp peppermint extract

I used half and half and added Watkins vanilla. Too bland. So I add in some Vanilla stevia, which helps some.

Pumpkin Pie Creamer
1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 cups of 2% milk
1/2 half & half
1/3 cup of pumpkin puree
You may need to take a spoon to loosen the condensed milk a bit. Put the lid on and shake it real well. If the SC milk is still stuck to the bottom run some warm water over the bottom portion for about 2 minutes and shake it until the SC milk is mixed thoroughly with the rest of the ingredients.

Again this was just not the rich flavor, texture I'm after. Used some of it, and then threw it away.

At Javamama's house, she made a strong coffee to which we added a rich nonhomogenized cream and vanilla bean infused sugar. That was about the best alternative I've come by lately. I guess I need to find some affordable vanilla beans.

If you have suggestions for alternative, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am the exact same as you.

I have tried homemade recipies too with no luck.

The best I have come up with is honey with heavy cream.

:caf

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just keep trying Becca. It took me a long, long time to ditch the coffeemate creamers. I find them way too sweet now. I find I crave the cream more than the sugar now. I still hate stevia, but I keep trying to use it. :p

I bought a bulk pack of vanilla beans online because I was making homemade vanilla, but I have seen them in grocery stores around here. Expect to pay around a dollar a bean, but you only need one or two to flavor a sugar bowl. Hey - idea! I could mail you a couple. PM me your address if you want some.
My advice is to get the best spices you can find and add them. It made a difference once i did that. Penzeys is my favorite.

Right now my favorite additions to my cuppa java is cinnamon and nutmeg and a splash of vanilla - gives it that holiday flavor that i love. I get cinnamon from Penzey's and it is so good.

I'll have to try the recipes you listed, they look good.

It could also be the coffee - the french press makes a richer brew and i have a preference for low acid beans. Strength can be adjusted to your preference.

I put way more into coffee than I should :D Guilty pleasure for sure.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Don't toss the bean after making the vanilla sugar. You can put it into vodka and make vanilla extract.

Why not try those recipes, but use heavy cream instead of condensed milk? And try using vanilla extract instead of vanilla sugar, which would be quicker and easier?

Not a coffee drinker here, so I may be way off base... :p

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
1/2 and 1/2 and honey for me. Mabey a little sugar. I'll drink it black too. I like adding honey, vanillia, peppermint, ect to hot tea. I really do love the irish cream creamers though. :hide

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh I just remembered another thing i put in coffee when i want to go decadent - salty caramel sauce. I use Pioneer Woman's recipe from her site (I'll go find it in a little bit) except I add a little more salt and sometimes *ahem* rum or bourbon.

Got it:
Easy caramel sauce

# 4 Tablespoons Butter
# 1 cup Brown Sugar, Packed
# cups Half-and-half
# Pinch Of Salt
# 1 Tablespoon Vanilla

To make the caramel sauce:

Mix butter, brown sugar, half & half, and salt in a saucepan over medium low heat. Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until thicker. Add vanilla and cook another minute to thicken further. Turn off heat and pour sauce into a jar. Refrigerate until cold.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I use real cream and some erythritol. Sometimes I add vanilla or a touch of honey.

That coffee creamer is so toxic. Honestly even heavy cream with regular white sugar would be a big step up.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am glad you said that wifezilla. Because that's where I went. I have managed to remove the soy which elates me.

But I still add a bit of white sugar. :hide I was adding a bit of vanilla to about a 1/2 pint cream. It worked great.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I was addicted to the powdered stuff. I was cured when I watched an episode of Myth Busters where they BLEW UP and drum full of the stuff. We're talking 100 foot high flames!! If you'd like motivation to break the habit that way go to UTube and search for the video!! Now I just use a lot of organice half and half and stevia. I got used to it.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I used to use the powder too....until I met Free :D

Heavy cream and turbinado is my preference now. I ran out of the turbinado for a few days I just did not have time to get to the 'healthy' store. So we used sugar. Hubby commented that the white sugar we were using tasted like crap and would I please go get some of the good stuff?

My MIL drinks the liquid creamer junk...sorry to those who like it, but I think toxic is an accurate description!