alternatives to egg cartons?

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so i've been thinking about how much i hate egg cartons. they are a thorn in my side. since i only sell eggs out of the house right now, i can use recycled (aka second-hand) egg cartons, which is nice since they're free and they aren't getting thrown away. but it's a pain in the butt to have stacks of egg cartons laying around the house!

if i start selling eggs at the farmers' market, the cartons have to be new. that's another pain in the butt because it's more money i have to shell out AND it seems so wasteful.

what i've been thinking about is a truly reusable egg carton. i've got this image stuck in my head:
10-8514-01.jpg

i don't love plastics, but i do think that those hard molded plastics have their place. but these apparently are only available to children. i've searched the internet for every possible word combination and still can't find one for real life use. a non-plastic option would be great, but the only thing i can think of that would work would be wood... and i can't imagine someone carving me a bunch of wooden egg cartons! :D

ideally, i would find a source for these egg cartons, encourage my customers to buy them, and then they could just bring the carton to the market and i'd fill it for them from egg flats. i guess i could just as easily ask them to bring their pulp cartons back each time too, but i like the idea of the fancy molded ones better.

ideas? anyone seen these anywhere? anyone want to carve me one? ;)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
That's a really good idea!! I pick up used egg cartons at my garbage depot, but like you, I sell from my back door. People do return their used cartons though. But having plastic ones is such a good idea.

Any entrepreneurs in the house?

maybe contact the company of the product that you posted, and see if they can make you some, ince they already have the mould?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
You know what would look cool would be a stainless steel version! :lol: They would also cool off a little quicker once put in the fridge or in a cooler. :)

I like to recycle the cartons too and can't justify the cost of new cartons, which is part of why I am avoiding selling outside of my property. :/

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
How about those plastic cases they sell for people to take eggs when backpacking/camping?

HOWEVER, you should oughta check into the legality of using reusable containers. That may not be permitted, for the same reason that reused disposable cartons are not permitted.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sell them in cute little homemade baskets!!!!!!! You can charge extra for them too. You would just have to figure out a way to cover them-maybe in plastic wrap(I know not he best idea) or something that would hold them in place. Use Bee's basket pic for inspiration.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
HOWEVER, you should oughta check into the legality of using reusable containers. That may not be permitted, for the same reason that reused disposable cartons are not permitted.
i think people are allowed to bring whatever they like to take their eggs home in, i just can't provide a reused carton... i'll look into it.

Crusty McPottydoodle said:
I do believe this is what you seek
i KNEW i'd seen them somewhere for grown-ups!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This probably wouldn't be any more legal than used egg cartons, and would also be more of a hassle to use, but my DH has told me of the "Egg Man" who delivered eggs when DH was a child in Germany. The eggs were wrapped in newspaper - 4 or 5 laid side by side, and the paper rolled up around them, and the ends twisted - I envision the little package looking like a large piece of wrapped salt water taffy :lol:.