alternatives to egg cartons?

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
The eggs were wrapped in newspaper - 4 or 5 laid side by side, and the paper rolled up around them, and the ends twisted - I envision the little package looking like a large piece of wrapped salt water taffy :lol:.
awwwww! i want salt water taffy egg packages!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know at the market you are supposed to use new egg cartons properly labeled with your name and address - but, I've seen people bring their cartons to the market - I'm guessing they put their eggs in their own carton and give back the one the seller used. I'll check Saturday at our market to see.

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You can get the plastic egg containers like what Crusty McPottydoodle linked to at your local RV shop. We used to travel in a motor home, and these were commonly found in RV supply shops due to their portability.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Is it legal to use reuse egg cartons if you just place a lable with your info over the original information?

Here in my state it is only legal to sell 6 doz a week without a license. And it does not say if you can or can not reuse cartons. It only says your info has to be on the carton.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tennessee Egg Law requirements to sell unclassified eggs under 50 cases per year (30 doz. per case) are:
1. eggs must be cleaned and sanitized in a solution of 50-200 ppm o f unscented chlorine (test strips required0 then rinsed with potable water. Negative water test for coliform required annually if water source is from non public system. Waste and waste water must be disposed of properly.
2. generic cartons must be provided with producers name and address and the statement "Unclassified Eggs" on each carton. Recommend code dates or sell by dates be placed on outside of each egg carton (can be used as lot numbers).
3. Facility must be inspected and permitted by TN. Dept. of Ag. $50 fee
usually.
4. May used household kitchen or other suitable area for cleaning with emphasis on avoiding contamination.
5. Eggs for sale must be stored below 45 degrees F. in separate refrigerator from household use away from any hazards and have an accurate thermometer visible in storage area.

See why I only sell or give away eggs to friends and family? It's not that I disagree with the cleanliness portion, it's just that I hate being regulated for everything we do.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow those are some interesting rules.

I have both of those plastic egg cartons. The clear one and the kind you take camping. Their ok but, they are hard plastic.

The clear one is a pain because their is no "give" My eggs often vary in size and with the pulp cartons the lid will give a bit if the egg is huge. The plastic one does not and just won't close.

For camping I prefer to take the pulp over the one with the handle.
1. they only hold lke 8 eggs. I have 5 people in my family that just does not work.
2 they kinda bang around in the hard plastic.

I like the little twisted up paper, but that would be very labor intensive. I think people would want to see what their getting.

Last year I bought 300 miss printed pulp cartons from eggcartons.com for less that 50 bucks. I re use mine but always transfer eggs to be sold into a new carton. I guess I should make a sticker to put on them. Anyways, I still have a ton left. But I only sell a couple dozen a week.

Good luck.

gina

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Arkansas egg laws for retailers buying from farms.

This subchapter shall be applicable to all retailers of eggs except that retailer shall be permitted to sell eggs, when the eggs are purchased directly from producers who own less than two
hundred (200) hens provided the following requirements are met:
(1) Eggs are washed and clean;
(2) Eggs are prepackaged and identified as ungraded with the name and address of the producer;
(3) Used cartons are not used unless all brand markings and other identification is obliterated; and
(4) Eggs are refrigerated and maintained at a temperature of forty-five degrees Fahrenheit (45F) or below.

Seems a little less strict here.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here in OK, you can sell eggs any way you wish if you are selling them directly from the farm where they are collected. That means the customer must come to your place to pick them up. That is completely exempt from regulation.

However, the minute you set foot off your farm to deliver or sell them at say a farmers market, you are subject to all the regs the big boys are, including licensing, labeling, grading, etc. The license is just cheaper if you are running a small operation. That is the only difference.

They pretty much turn a blind eye to deliveries to friends, family, coworkers, etc, even though that is technically against the regs, but are insistent on other forms of sale.

I'm wondering if that is similar to the rest of y'all. That it is selling them offsite that is highly regulated.

Bib, my DW picked up the coolest little reusable plastic egg containers at a yard sale. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.