Am I Practical or Mean?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I agree that it is a practical thing. Letting go is very hard, but sometimes it needs to be done.
I can't say what I would do in that situation with one of my beloved animals because I haven't been there yet. I fear the day that I need to go there, but I also know it will happen. Death is part of life.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
You get a practical vote from me as well. Love my animals. But they are not pets. They are their for a pupose.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I doubt you will get a mean on this forum. we farmers and we know practical when it comes to livestock :)
hey in the olden days there wasn't a vet on every corner either so people had to vet themselves and know also when to draw the line.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Practical.

In the case of our pets, we do the best we can for them but there comes a point where one has to make tough decisions: for us quality of life, common sense, and budget are all part of the equation.

In the case of livestock, any animal in obvious pain/distress beyond immediate (affordable) medical attention would get put down humanely. We don't have animals (other than pets) however both parents grew up on farms and that was how they dealt with it and what we believe in.

I think we live in a crazy time period when people treat animals better than people in some instances. I'm related to someone who calls her Shi-Tzu dog a "fur baby" and carries it around all the time popping miniature marshmallows into it's mouth. That breed (I'm told) has eye problems, and this particular dog has had several expensive surgeries to deal with those problems. This isn't a person we know well, we're just related, but it sickens me to hear what she does with/to/for this dog. And I know she's not the worst offender out there.

Animals under the care of humans need humane treatment, which shouldn't be too different to how animals live in the wild. The weak and sick are quickly dispatched by predators in the wild, the kindest ending possible.

stubbornhillfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think you are practical as are my husband and I. Our livestock and pets are well taken care of. They live wonderful animal lives. And as others have said, "serve a purpose". (with the exception of my daughters indoor cat :rolleyes:) We have spent, in the past, hundreds of dollars on two different cats, just to have them dissapear, most likely been eaten by coyotes. That won't happen again! Our vet, like most, always suggests, test for this, test for that. "You can get a animal credit card you know." After politely explainning to her that we don't have insurance on ourselves and can't afford to go to the doctors on a whim, we certainly aren't going to put a ton of money into an animal. She ususally comes up with a more resonable suggestion.

I agree with another that said it would depend on the animal as to what resources would be used. Our 11 Year old dog that has had a wonderful life, well we won't be spending a lot more on him. Our young heifer that should provide us with many years of calves for meat and $$$$. We would invest more into her. And that is what we would consider it, an investment.

Many people unfortunatley have forgotten that animals are animals. Our neighbor has a Yellow Lab. They put a rain coat on her when it's rainning and a winter coat with a "fur" collar on her when it's snowing to keep the water off her. :barnie :barnie :barnie She is a water fowl breed, originally bread to hunt ducks; which, "say it with me class"..."are in the water!" How humiliating!!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am missing ol doc mohr! He was an old country vet who would try a natural route before meds if he could. He also helped people. My youngest was a very sick infant- didn't grow and didn't start walking till she was over 2. We had our dog at the time at his clinic (house) for shots. And were sitting in his waiting room (part of his living room) and were talking with my mother who was with us about the trip we had taken to the shriners hospitle a few days before (my daughter was @ 3 at the time) and how they said the only thing to do would be to wait till she was done growing and go in and break both her legs turn them and reset them. Her shin bones grew twisted in-utero. He over heard and came out and asked if he could see her, and looked her legs and feet. Looked at us and said"don't you dare let them break this babys legs! Just put her shoes on the wrong foot! She will be fine. And she was.

He charged $5.00 to give a dog shots. $10.00 to neuter cats and small dogs. No offace visit.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Depends entirely on the animal. I'd do less for Stormy than I would for Misty. And, I had my dog put down at the age of 12 when she got cancer rather than spend the hundreds or so to maybe give her another 6 months. But, you can be sure if one of the chickens got sick, I sure wouldn't spend money on a vet for them.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
see i think the key here isnt realy practical or mean but more merciful...

whats more merciful, spening $500 to try and cure a chicken whos not laying cant see and is lame...or ending her suffering quick and relitivly painlessly...

its definatly for me quality of life over quantity, if i can get both quantity AND quality thats even better!
that goes for pets and livestock, id much rather a cow for my table have a good quality of life and and a quick end...if it got injured and was going to my table anyway, id rather not put it through the extra trauma.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm not spending more than the initial cost of the animal to cure the animal of whatever unless the investment is worth it i.e. a cow, work horse, etc. My animals are a means of investments, insurance, and security for my family. Other than my dog, who is pushing her spend limit now :p the animals get what care I can give them, and research is FREE! I invest a WHOLE lot of non monetary value into them, and get a good bit of return....so long as I stay out of the vets office ;) I am practical about everything :hu DD OTOH would go flat busted broke for her snake to live one more hour :rolleyes: I sure hope she outgrows that hypersensitivity :hide