Of course, there were times w/both of my kids......:D

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moxies_chickennuggets said:
Denim Deb said:
Of course, there were times w/both of my kids......:D
Of course :gig
My dad has a bumper sticker that says 'Grandchildren: the reward you get for not killing your teenagers'

I'll admit to owning a $700 stray cat... I picked him up off the side of the road full of worms at 3 weeks old, nursed him to health and now 12 years later I have probably spent about $700 on multiple urinary tract issues over the years. He's an indoor cat, and I love him to death. He is the one pet that I'm willing to spend money (as long as I have it) on.

I also spent money on trying to help my first horse not be lame, but no more than supplements and visits to a chiropractor... I didn't pay for the surgery the vet suggested (he was 17 years old at the time), and put him down after three years when he could no longer walk to the pasture from the barn.

Livestock is WAY different for me... they are there for a reason, and a limited time... if something went wrong I would probably choose to put the animal down before resorting to expensive vet treatments. I would try what I could, but if it's not helping I wouldn't let the bills snowball.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I saw a t-shirt that said if I had known grandkids were so easy, I would have had them first.

ETA: or, was it so much fun?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks to ya'll for all the responses and for not calling me mean. :gig I have read them to DH and we have both enjoyed what everybody had to say. I just shake my head at the excessive way people treat their animals, sometimes better than their children. On another forum someone posted about their duck, a house pet. It became egg bound and the duck was scheduled for sugery to remove the ovaries for $2500. She asked for prayers for her duck. I thought to my self......OK, a diapered house duck..........hmmmmmm.......NOT in my house..........$2500 for SUGERY????? Just go on and take me to the funny farm if I ever do something that dumb. :lol: :lol: :lol: I could buy LOTS of ducks for $2500 haha :gig

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I was going to say, can't you just squeeze it hard enough to have the egg pop out? :hu

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
$2500 for a duck hysterectomy, that vet is taking advantage...its not that difficult a procedure,
the hardest part is the anesthesia itself...
if a vet can spay a rabbit for $50 theres absolutly no reason a duck should cost any more than $100 (again complicated anesthesia ith birds...)
and quite frankly, i wouldnt do it even if it was my worlds most famos price inning ducky...the bird is unlikley to make it through the anesthesia unless they go with a bird specific vet experienced with waterfowl, why put the animal through the extra stress, attempt to de-egg bind it like any normal person and if it doesnt happen, time ot let the poor girl go!