American Corn Cutter

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My dad just sent me one for a belated Christmas present. I intend to buy a bunch of corn this coming summer/fall, and freeze/can enough that I can avoid buying canned/frozen corn at the store. (we can't grow corn on our land, space constriction, as well as repeated failed attempts)... has anyone used one of these? How did it go?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Looks alot better than the one I have. Mine is sort of like a potato peeler where insted of taking off the peel, itstrips off two rows of kernels. VERY hard on the hand/wrist.

for those curious about the one mentioned by the op ( I had to look it up)
http://americancorncutter.com/

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm for simplicity, but if you have an electric knife (with the twin reciprocal blades), I'll follow grandma's lead and use the knife.

I think using this thing would be tedious at best, but would work if you have to.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There is a thread thread here somewhere on corn strippers. I have used that type of stripper for as long as I can remember. They work OK. Just OK. It will not jump up and do the work for you - you have to force the ear of corn along the blade and when the blade gets dull it's hard work. This type of stripper does not shave very close to the cob and produces mushy corn sometimes.

I have three or four of them around here someplace. Several are homemade. I think I put a picture of one of my homemade strippers here last spring.

I always prefer a good, very sharp knife. You control the closeness to the cob and the corn is never mushy. A razor sharp knife is the key.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I grew up using those.
My dad made a stand out of wood. The cutter sat in the top and we slid a 9x13 pan below. There was a stop on the work surface. That way, you could push easily with one hand and not have to hold the cutter or have it slide around.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Hmm, I'm for simplicity, but if you have an electric knife (with the twin reciprocal blades), I'll follow grandma's lead and use the knife.

I think using this thing would be tedious at best, but would work if you have to.
Well, duh!!! I never thought about using an electric knife. :th That would make things so much simpler.

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There is a thread thread here somewhere on corn strippers. I have used that type of stripper for as long as I can remember. They work OK. Just OK. It will not jump up and do the work for you - you have to force the ear of corn along the blade and when the blade gets dull it's hard work. This type of stripper does not shave very close to the cob and produces mushy corn sometimes.

I have three or four of them around here someplace. Several are homemade. I think I put a picture of one of my homemade strippers here last spring.

I always prefer a good, very sharp knife. You control the closeness to the cob and the corn is never mushy. A razor sharp knife is the key.
:yuckyuck

Im sorry, that post was FUNNY!!!

I must be in the wrong frame of mind! :gig

Latest posts