American Wheat Beer (Yummy Success)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Can't beat Irish Red ale!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Day 21 - I put a 12 oz bottle in the freezer for a little over an hour. When I popped the top and poured, it had just a little bit of ice. It poured with a tall head in the pint mug.
IMG_20190402_182102989.jpg

After about a minute it settled down to a normal looking rich creamy blonde head.
IMG_20190402_182414500.jpg

Lacing of foam, you can almost count the number of swallows it took me to finish this mug. Back in my brew days like (30 years ago) lacing on the inside of the glass was how we determined the beer was fully carbonated. I would say this batch of homebrew Golden American Wheat, is fully carbonated now for sure.
IMG_20190402_183326982.jpg

I really don't drink much at all really, a glass a day during dinner is good enough for me. I don't like crappy store bought big name beers. Brewing your own at home is a great way to produce good quality tasting beer for a lot cheaper than you would pay at the store for the same quality, taste and style. Plus most store bought beer the yeast is killed off and it is carbonated with co2 gas which makes it taste nasty to me and give me the burps. Naturally carbonated beer with the same yeast that it was fermented with, originally is so alive and much better tasting. Live beer has to be better for you than dead co2 gassed beer.

Anyways this last post of pictures for this batch of home brew. Its now complete and ready to enjoy. I really just wanted to take you through soup to nuts of what it takes to brew up a awesome batch of homebrew ale and I hope you all enjoyed this little thread.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Can't beat Irish Red ale!

Irish Red Ale is a awesome brew :) We can't get a real Irish Red Ale here in the USA because of the gov regulations on imported beer alcohol content. So the only way to experience a true Irish Red Ale, is to brew your own or try to find a micro brewery that just might happen to be brewing some. I was looking at a original Irish Red Ale recipe from 1793. Its a pretty malty and has a little corn also very lightly hopped. Sounds delicious, I'm looking forward to getting it in the primary.

irish-red-1-h-800x545.jpg

• Traditional Irish Red Ale ingredients for 5.5 gallons (20.8 L)
  • MALTS
  • 8 lb. (3.63 kg) Maris Otter pale barley malt
  • 1 lb. (0.45 kg) flaked maize
  • 4 oz. (113 g) dark roasted barley
  • HOPS
  • 1.25 oz. (35 g) East Kent Goldings
  • YEAST
  • Nottingham ale yeast
East Kent Goldings hops has an amazing aroma profile with lavender, spice, honey and notes of thyme. Flavor-wise it is earthy and mildly bittering with a sweet, silky, honey-like character. East Kent Golding is considered to be the quintessential English hop, long held as one of the island's favorites for ales and pale ales.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me had a Murphy's Irish Red in an Irish pub somewhere in the States... This was a few years ago, so things may have changed since then. For some reason the Irish make this purely for export and I haven't been able to get hold of some here :rant It's a great tasting beer. (Trust me, I drank gallons of the stuff when I lived in the Netherlands many years ago)

b2815e7fd9bfec249efe09355af1e884.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Day 21 - I put a 12 oz bottle in the freezer for a little over an hour. When I popped the top and poured, it had just a little bit of ice. It poured with a tall head in the pint mug.
View attachment 10439

After about a minute it settled down to a normal looking rich creamy blonde head.
View attachment 10440

Lacing of foam, you can almost count the number of swallows it took me to finish this mug. Back in my brew days like (30 years ago) lacing on the inside of the glass was how we determined the beer was fully carbonated. I would say this batch of homebrew Golden American Wheat, is fully carbonated now for sure.
View attachment 10441

I really don't drink much at all really, a glass a day during dinner is good enough for me. I don't like crappy store bought big name beers. Brewing your own at home is a great way to produce good quality tasting beer for a lot cheaper than you would pay at the store for the same quality, taste and style. Plus most store bought beer the yeast is killed off and it is carbonated with co2 gas which makes it taste nasty to me and give me the burps. Naturally carbonated beer with the same yeast that it was fermented with, originally is so alive and much better tasting. Live beer has to be better for you than dead co2 gassed beer.

Anyways this last post of pictures for this batch of home brew. Its now complete and ready to enjoy. I really just wanted to take you through soup to nuts of what it takes to brew up a awesome batch of homebrew ale and I hope you all enjoyed this little thread.
I'd call this one a Success! I'm not a big fan of beer, but you are making me think about brewing some myself now!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yum! You're really doing good stuff there. When/if I decide to start home-brewing - I'm going to have to refer back to your threads. Thanks for posting this - it really is great info!