An amazing discovery

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This discovery will change lives forever, simply amazing. They mention quantum computing, but application far exceeds computing and into just about every facet of life. Uses in the medical industry for example, are astounding. Not to mention energy, etc... It WILL change our lives.

Engineers crack 58-year-old enigma, make quantum breakthrough

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This discovery will change lives forever, simply amazing. They mention quantum computing, but application far exceeds computing and into just about every facet of life. Uses in the medical industry for example, are astounding. Not to mention energy, etc... It WILL change our lives.

Engineers crack 58-year-old enigma, make quantum breakthrough

we'll see what happens... sometimes you hear about things like this and nothing is ever heard again, because for various reasons it isn't practical or it ends up being used in way that nobody ever predicted...

to me the most interesting aspects of something like this would be very low energy/heat generating computational devices. we're already down there quite a ways already but this would be some orders of magnitude lower energy if they can actually get the manufacturing kinks worked out.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember when Cray had the fastest supercomputer in the world. The working parts were submerged in a super-cooled liquid (can't remember what kind- this was 30+ years ago). Nasa had one when my ex was working there- he put in a plug for me and because I had a degree in Interior Design, so I got to choose the exterior colors of the thing. I went with a very 70's red ochre and tan look. The actual computer is inside the "seating".
1584116585316.png

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we'll see what happens... sometimes you hear about things like this and nothing is ever heard again, because for various reasons it isn't practical or it ends up being used in way that nobody ever predicted...

to me the most interesting aspects of something like this would be very low energy/heat generating computational devices. we're already down there quite a ways already but this would be some orders of magnitude lower energy if they can actually get the manufacturing kinks worked out.

Watch see if what I tell you is correct or not. But "Quantum" will be the next big thing within 5 to 10 years. This discovery will change the world and it's impacts will be huge!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Watch see if what I tell you is correct or not. But "Quantum" will be the next big thing within 5 to 10 years. This discovery will change the world and it's impacts will be huge!

i hope to be around to see things happen. :) no idea of what though. hard to predict.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
like quantum leap? time travel? send me back to last month so I can buy all the tp