Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just finished reading this book. Anyone else read it? What did you think? Did you get inspired? Did it make you think twice before buying celery in the middle of November in Wisconsin?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It is on my 'to read' list. As for off season veggies, I was just out building a cold frame so I can grow my own veggies in the middle of February :D

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wife,
Thats awesome! I wish I had that kind of motivation. Wanted to let you know too that this morning was my first morning with half and half and sugar in my coffee. I think you were in on the conversation about the flavored coffee creamer. I decided that it IS toxic and will try my best not to use it!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It made me think twice (actually, I am re-reading the book now, about halfway through) but I admit I still buy what I want. But since I grow so much and buy local from farmstands all summer long, I can still hold my head up! But I will always buy lemons and limes and chocolate without guilt.

It made me think more about eating seasonally and how a rhythm can be good for our bodies....I've often thought that we don't have to "balance" every meal, we can balance the day, and balance the week. The book broadened my thinking to balancing the year.

Of course, we can preserve summer produce and have it all year, just in different forms. Fermenting is a great way to have the good vitamin C of fresh foods, and other nutrients that are destroyed by many preserving methods.

I heard a recorded interview with Susun Weed and she said something about taking certain herbal tonics in a rhythm. That rhythm can be once a day, once a week, daily for a week once a year....but it is still a rhythm. I also think about this in terms of eating what we grow....we can load our bodies with certain nutrients when some foods are in abundance and then move on to the next abundant food.

OK, now I'm hungry....

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Loved this book. Inspired me to do what I am doing today.

A woman I use to work with chased me down in the grocery store one day telling me about this book that was right up my alley. "I kept thinking, this is so A." She tells me at the deli counter. So I went to the library and checked it out. Loved, loved it.

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Free,
I agree. I think that my family will try to be more consious about our food choices. I did in fact have to buy celery last night to make chili for my husbands chili cook-off at work today. I have to admit, I did feel a little guilty about that celery having to be trucked all the way from CA.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Thats awesome! I wish I had that kind of motivation.
Since is is made out of hay bales and a glass door I got for free, it didn't take that much effort. Just a little lifting :D

Wanted to let you know too that this morning was my first morning with half and half and sugar in my coffee.
:celebrate

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I read it twice. Very inspiring! Then I lent it to a friend. I just realized she never gave it back! Gotta go make a phone call . . . ....

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kingsolver is a great writer, and it is a great book - she has some books of essays out that are really really good too.

I have worked hard to try to eat both more seasonally and more locally. So, no strawberries til June, and then, watch out! But I do eat bananas, choc, coffee, use spices...but otherwise, I focus on seasonal eating. It makes you really anticipate and enjoy the food -

it is funny too, because the heavy foods (roots like potatoes, rutabegas, carrots), squashes, cabbages, are great in the winter, and the lighter foods (greens, tomatoes, peppers, watermelons) are so great in the summer. seems sort of planned!

I'ld say, get the celery! But when you are making choices,move towards seasonal eating - buy apples instead of berries as you live in wisc. Not sure what the heck happens to people who live in florida or calif, seems like they could eat pretty much whatever they wanted all season!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If anyone "outgrows" their copy and would like to pass it on (for $ or barter), please PM me. :cool: