Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Let me tell you, it really helps me to have self control when I grow my own stuff. I thought of this when you mentioned strawberries, lalaland. I can easily resist store strawberries, even on sale, because now I compare them to the free ones we have at home in June, and beyond that in the freezer.

We can't grow things like citrus, chocolate, spices, etc, so I enjoy those year-round.

I think it is good to have some balance in these matters, too. Because, really, then, it would also be wrong to ship cookies or some jam you made to a friend or family member who lives far away. On the other hand, we need to be aware of how our decisions really impact the entire planet.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How funny, I just checked out this book yesterday! I've been waiting for months to get it from the library, and it was finally available. I just started it and know I will love it, but also know it may make me even more discontent with where I currently live. sigh. I have liked her other books I have read, Poisonwood Bible, and Pigs in Heaven, so I'm sure I'll like this one too, for her writing as well as the topic.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know this threads kind of old. But, I just wanted to say that I loved this book. I loaned my copy out to a friend and I can't wait to get it back. My books are like babies. At least the ones I enjoy. :) I too love the idea of life having certain rhythms to it. If I'm smart enough to slow down and notice them. Unfortunetly, I read it in October. So, we really haven't done much to change our menu.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
lalaland said:
Not sure what the heck happens to people who live in florida or calif, seems like they could eat pretty much whatever they wanted all season!
We become spoiled whiners. :lol:
LOL Yup.

I moved from FL to CA a year and a half ago and pretty much gorged on fresh, cheap strawberries (picked those in FL too), oranges, cherries, and bluberries. Especially blueberries. They were so cheap there.

Had to leave CA so I moved to TX. I'm actually closer to sweeter oranges than I was in FL, feed grains are MUCH cheaper, and at least I can still grow berries.

Goats are plentiful too, though mostly Boers and Nigis. Beef is high priced though? Can't figure that one out, LOL.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I read it a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. I still buy celery in Dec in WI :), especially for all that soup! But we are way, WAY more local in our food habits than ever. I think there's a continuum for everything, and I don't need to be extremist on either side. We buy sugar, coffee, tea, chocolate, spices, herbs, some fruit in winter, fresh organic greens from CA all winter, carrots, and some other stuff, but it's still way more local than ever. I rarely (if ever) buy any food from out of the U.S. any more.

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I rarely (if ever) buy any food from out of the U.S. any more
I really try not to too. My DH bought some bananas from Guatamala the other day. I just let the family know how far they traveled to get here.

I do find myself actually LOOKING at where they come from though. We buy our ice cream now from a dairy in Owen, WI.

I think the book will help me plan my garden better now. I know what I will need in the middle of winter and not want to buy from the store.

I too, am not going to the extreme, as I still buy sugar, coffee and such. The last time I bought coffee, I bought some that was farmer friendly.

I think the book has made me more aware.