Animals and vaccinations.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you have other ruminants on your farm, they can also catch things from other ruminants. I had to be very careful when I added goats to my alpaca farm as alpacas can get any of the diseases that any other ruminant can catch. I'm thankful no cows are around me because they can also get BVD and other diseases from cows too.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
You need to think logically on these issues. and research the disease.

Do vaccines actually WORK for what they're supposed to? How many "beings" actually get the disease after being fully vaccinated?

What toxins does the vaccine contain, and what effect would those have?

Also ask yourself, how can injecting toxins, make for a healthier animal or human?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
As per Wikipedia:

Canada declared their cattle herd brucellosis-free on September 19, 1985. Brucellosis ring testing of milk and cream, as well as testing of slaughter cattle, ended April 1, 1999. Monitoring continues through auction market testing, standard disease reporting mechanisms, and testing of cattle being qualified for export to countries other than the USA.[11]

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have never vaccinated any of our cattle and very rarely have we ever lost any to disease. If we sell them at the sale barn and a big buyer buys them, he re-vaccinates everything before shipping it to the stockyards anyway, why give the consumer a double dose? Not to mention the cost. If we held ownership all the way to the slaughterhouse it would make sense, but we only sell enough calves each year to pay for farm expenses and taxes and keep the rest for our own consumption.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Canada declared their cattle herd brucellosis-free on September 19, 1985. Brucellosis ring testing of milk and cream, as well as testing of slaughter cattle, ended April 1, 1999. Monitoring continues through auction market testing, standard disease reporting mechanisms, and testing of cattle being qualified for export to countries other than the USA.[11]
Well there ya go then. Cool! :)

(e.t.a. - hope you are still there and nothing important is too far downwind - saw the news pics of the tractor trailer blown over on the 401 nr Chatham!)

Pat