annaraven - more random update stuph

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
:gig
I read this as "chick stuff" and thought it was gonna be one of THOSE days for you LOL!!
LOL.
Nope - I don't get "those" days much anymore...

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I had some kale that needed cooking. I made kale soup.

Sauteed a minced shallot. Washed and chopped the kale. Added some minced garlic to the pan and then the kale. After it all sauteed for a while, put it in a pot with broth and let it cook until tender. Added a can of cannellini beans. Brought them up to warm, then served it.

Much yumminess.

Later today, I made Pasta alla Norma.

Sliced two large eggplants and salted them.
Started oil heating and a bit of garlic in my sauce pot.
Browned the eggplant slices on both sides (after rinsing the salt off). Did it in batches to not crowd the pan.
Added the eggplant slices and a box of tomato basil sauce (imported from Italy). Added a bit of broth and hot water and let it cook down.

Served with penne and ricotta salata cheese. (You can also use pecorino if you can't find the ricotta salata.)

Leftovers of both are in the fridge. I'm planning on canning them tomorrow.

Lovely warm day today - DH and I sat out with the chickens in the sun for several hours. And we even got to soak in the hottub after dinner.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oooo! Oooo! **bounces and waves hand, as I imagine abi would** Ricotta Salata is so easy to make, one of the easiest cheeses!!! Now I know what to do with it, other than cutting hunks off and eating it! :weee

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Oooo! Oooo! **bounces and waves hand, as I imagine abi would** Ricotta Salata is so easy to make, one of the easiest cheeses!!! Now I know what to do with it, other than cutting hunks off and eating it! :weee
*laughing* uh huh!!! *bounces*

That sounds scrumptious. I paid for dance class on this paycheck... But I'm going to double my milk in Feb or March so I can make cheese!!!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Really? How? Where's the recipe?

ETA: Make sure you use Ricotta Salata, not just plain ricotta. From WikipediaIn addition to its fresh, soft form, ricotta is also sold in three preparations which ensure a longer shelf life: salted, baked and smoked. The pressed, salted and dried variety of the cheese is known as ricotta salata. A milky-white firm cheese used for grating or shaving, ricotta salata is sold in wheels, decorated by a delicate basket-weave pattern.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ok why am **** I **** the only person who cant make a dang ricotta!?!?

we just bought some from the store! i cant believe how expensive it is!!!

*opens door and yells to goats: HEY YOU GOATS HURRY UP AND GET THAT MILK GOING! *

sheesh!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
freemotion said:
Really? How? Where's the recipe?

ETA: Make sure you use Ricotta Salata, not just plain ricotta. From WikipediaIn addition to its fresh, soft form, ricotta is also sold in three preparations which ensure a longer shelf life: salted, baked and smoked. The pressed, salted and dried variety of the cheese is known as ricotta salata. A milky-white firm cheese used for grating or shaving, ricotta salata is sold in wheels, decorated by a delicate basket-weave pattern.
I just salt and press ricotta and age it for a month or so in the fridge. YUM. I learned this here on ss a couple years ago....who was it? Pat? Farmerlor? WHO???

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to try that!

I'm kinda sad today - two of our chickens (the roos) went to Reno. No, that's not a euphemism for freezer camp... A woman whose daughter lives in San Jose came by and picked them up because they were the right breeds for her breeding program. Yay! So they'll make beautiful babies.

Okay - time for dinner.

Latest posts